3

For the next few weeks I became increasingly more comfortable with those I was working with. We'd share jokes and hang out mainly when the evenings were quiet.

I wasn't even technically the new girl by now; another waitress, Rosie, had joined just a couple of weeks after me. Running my fingers over the reservations book I noticed that tonight wasn't meant to be too busy again, it was usually at its worst between 8 and 9.

Suddenly I looked up at the clock and noticed that it was 7:30 so I made my now traditional walk back to the restaurant floor to wait for Levi's arrival. True to what Austin had told me on my first day, Levi had not once missed a week and in all honesty it captivated me.

Sure enough, he walked through the doors and sent that smile my way like he did every week before my eyes followed him to his seat in the corner. On table 24.

He wore blue jeans this week, of course they were ripped again but they suited him and his t-shirt was a sort of tie-dye affair. It was honestly somewhat refreshing to see someone doing their own thing with their style.

Austin went straight over to take his usual order as I watched. His eyes held a mystery that the adventurer inside of me just wanted to solve but even I couldn't know the answer as to why I was so intrigued by a boy I'd technically never had the guts to talk to.

So far, I'd managed to avoid serving his food when the kitchen dinged the bell for us to take it. In fairness, Nate had been very good about it and had done it a couple of times instead so I could avoid him but he didn't half tease me about it.

I guess that was fair enough.

It wasn't just the mystery about Levi though. He always made the effort to be friendly to both the staff and the other customers so I had a sort of respect for him too despite a lack of conversation. He just gave off this positivity in his smiles at me which I looked forward to every week.

Maybe the others knew more about him than I did, after all, they had worked here longer. I snapped out of my trance, cleared a table and took them the dessert menus before heading back into the kitchen to talk to the others but before I could say anything, Drew spoke up;

"7:38 now" his eyes left his watch "a minute longer spent watching Levi this week"

"I do not watch Levi" I defended, blushing slightly and tucking those forever loose strands of hair behind my ears.

Rosie appeared from behind me "she does" she teased "but a girl is allowed to window shop, his curly brown hair is cute"

"He has brown hair?" Drew asked, looking slightly defeated at Rosie's interest and under his breath he sighed "darn, I always pictured him as more of a blonde"

"Blondes are cute too" Rosie giggled, Drew subconsciously touched his hair which caused him to drop the spatula he'd been messing around with. He blushed and picked it up, smoothing out his apron. It was cute but I ignored that and focused on what he'd just said.

"You don't know what he looks like?" Drew handed me the spatula over the counter as I asked, genuinely surprised. I just assumed that Levi was the one customer that was known by all of them, sort of like a friend of the business.

"None of us at the back here do, we just know the story! I haven't actually seen him before" he laughed as I walked to put the spatula by the woman in charge of washing up "we're not allowed out the front!"

"You know his story?" I ask, rushing back to them as excitement coursed through my veins. I wanted to know about him. I wanted to solve the mystery of the boy that sent me that cheeky smile every Saturday that made me feel both nervous and exhilarated. Drew must've noticed this because he intervened quickly.

"I do but I'm not sure it's my place, you'd have to talk to Austin because he knows him best"

"Oh, okay" I said slightly defeated, it was like having the chance to perhaps settle the one thing that occupies your thoughts burning out like a flame from a match. It was somewhat sad but maybe better, maybe I just enjoyed the wonder of fantasising.

"Don't worry Amber" Brenda piped up "maybe one day Levi will tell you himself, from what Nate's told me, it seems he likes watching you too"

I let out a frustrated laugh "for the last time I do not watch Levi!"

"Yeah alright love bird now take these plates to table 3" Brenda placed two plates on the counter and dinged the bell. I glared at her jokingly but took the meals anyway. I was at the point now where I knew the names, looks and tastes of most of the dishes so customers could ask me about them when they needed to.

"Enjoy!" I chirped as I placed the plates down, I was met with a chorus of thank yous before I spun and headed back in the direction of the kitchen. However, when walking past the bar, Austin caught my arm.

"Amber, how are you? I feel like I haven't spoken to you yet today!" He was right, he hadn't but it didn't matter, he was still busy with paperwork because of the whole transition from his father's management of the restaurant to his own.

"I'm pretty good actually, what about you?"

"I'm good thank you Amber, I'm good! Look, I was just wondering whether you'd be happy to switch your attention to the other half of the restaurant next week, with me. Nate is still being shadowed by Rosie and the other half is slightly larger so I'll need more help my end. Obviously, if there's stuff that needs doing this side then of course, help with that, but if I could have you working with me that'd be great" he smiled.

"Um, okay. Sure!" I said to my now very happy boss who laughed and rushed off to talk to one of the customers, never seeming to run out of energy.

I turned to lean against the bar and sighed, I didn't feel any regret at the quick decision which was good. I started drawing circles with my finger on the counter.

I'd be on the side with Levi. That could be interesting.

***

Yay progress! Anyone got any ideas with what they want to happen? ~Megs