6

The thought of Levi being upset hurt me. Like somehow, even though we'd only spoken a few times, I was connected to him in a way I couldn't explain.

He was the reason I looked forward to coming into the restaurant every week because the cheeky smile on his face was all I needed to put a permanent one on mine.

The thought of levi losing his mother like that was tragic and I didn't even know the woman. The story Austin told was just so moving and the respect I had for Levi had sky rocketed. It wasn't that I looked at him in a different light, just that the greater sense of understanding meant that I could feel closer to him.

The following week I walked over to Levi's table holding my notepad and pen, despite knowing that he'd order the same thing anyway.

"What can I get you tonight Levi?" I asked and he looked up at me, opening his mouth to speak before closing it and moving his hand anyway from where it was pointing to the menu.

"A smile" he said gently "you've been looking a little down tonight" he frowned, a minor look of sadness in his eye. Inhaling deeply helps calm me down.

"I know what happened with your mum" I stated calmly and he nodded, I breathed out slowly "I'm sorry"

"Don't apologise Amber it wasn't your fault" he laughed slightly, the smile had returned to his face and we were almost back to normality despite the conversation "It wasn't anyone's fault, but it's alright now, I know that she's happy and so I'm happy" he beamed, a genuine look that suggested he truly believed in what he had just said.

"I'm glad" I smiled "I like it when you're happy"

"Ditto" he said and we were silent for a few moments, a strand of hair fell over his left eye which he didn't brush away "so about my meal-" he went onto tell me the exact same order he always did, so rehearsed by now that the words tumbled effortlessly from his lips and I left feeling slightly better that we'd addressed the real reason he was here every week.

***

After work that evening, Brenda had invited the group of us round hers to stay the night. We were planning on a more relaxing night of films, snacks and possibly a little alcohol but I couldn't relax because I was thinking about Levi.

It was like he was always in my thoughts whenever he did or said something that made me endlessly happy, I couldn't stop thinking about it. God I was so whipped.

So when Nate and George were engrossed in a Fifa battle and Drew and Rosie were flirtatiously bickering in the corner, I followed Brenda who had decided that we needed more snacks.

We went into the kitchen and I closed the door behind us, I needed to talk to her about what was bothering me.

"Brenda" I said slowly, watching as she reached to the top of her cupboard and pulled out a bag of crisps. She hummed a response, failing to turn around as she headed over to the fridge to pull out a few of cans of beer. I cleared my throat.

"I really like Levi" I exhaled as I told her, fiddling slightly with the sleeves on my top but once again she didn't turn around.

"I know you do" she replied instantly, her tone unreadable.

"No I mean, I can't stop thinking about him. I really, really like him"

"I know" I frowned, I was telling her my feelings and that was rarely something I did with anybody so I raised my voice.

"Can you stop being so uncooperative I have a serious problem here!" It was only now she turned around, placing the crisps and cans down to the side and leaning against the worktop.

"What part of this is the problem?" She shrugged, why wasn't she getting this?

"Are you even listening to me? I just said I liked Levi, that's the problem!"

"And I say there's no problem because right now, it's fairly obvious that he likes you back"

"You work in the kitchen, you haven't even seen him around me and even if he did, it's not like anything would come of it"

"I hear an awful lot of stuff from Nate, Amber. And not if you both keep on like this, one of you has gotta grow some balls at some point"

"And say I did grow some, how would I do anything about it?" I lowered my voice now, regretting snapping at her slightly, I was just frustrated at the situation. Before, I was comfortable just talking to Levi every now and then but because he was clouding my thoughts, something needed to be done.

"Well let's see... You could straight out tell him, you could write your number on a napkin, or put a flipping engagement ring in his food for all I care!" She sassed "but from what I know of the situation, he's probably going to make a move on you soon anyway" Brenda smirked before grabbing the crisps, opening the door and walking out of the room.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I shouted after her but she simply acted as if nothing had happened, turning and sitting on the sofa next to Nate. I sighed and picked up the cans, handing them out once I was back in the room.

The night itself was great. Everyone got tipsy if not drunk which was the reasoning behind a very drunk Drew and Rosie finally kissing, making everyone very happy. Especially because it'd be the topic of conversation next week at work and we looked forward to seeing Drew embarrassed like the little dork he is.

George and I had a laugh too, being the 5th and 6th wheels of the situation, but it was okay really. I think we ended up prank calling a couple of his friends whilst Nate and Brenda teased Drew and Rosie.

Despite the great time we all had, there was one thought I couldn't shake: what Brenda had told me.

Was Levi actually going to make a move?

***

Slight filler chapter but it'll pick up in the next couple I swear. Any feedback/ comments are always appreciated!! ~Megs

Also, just want to highlight how well I think I wrote Brenda in this one?? nateftmorrin x