I got a sister for my seventh birthday

A/N This one is pretty mild compared to some of the ones I have posted here but it's still worth the read!

WARNING: NONE

I was an only child. The apple of my parents' eyes, a princess who could do no wrong. So when my parents told me they had a surprise for my seventh birthday, I was ecstatic and lost sleep thinking about what it could be. A new Lego play set? The doll I'd seen at the toy store? A pony?!

The possibilities were endless! When the morning of my birthday arrived, I leapt from my bed and charged full tilt downstairs, where my mother was sitting at the kitchen table with her morning cup of coffee. A quick scan of the room didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary and immediately my stomach sank with disappointment. I clambered into the chair beside her and leaned forward across the table so that my face was in her's,

"Mama?"

She set her coffee aside and scooped me up in a great big bear hug until I was shrieking with laughter. Once I had been suitably smothered with birthday kisses, she set me down and told me she was going to make me chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream for breakfast. Although this made my stomach growl with anticipation, I wasn't going to be swayed from my original mission.

"Mama, you said I'd get a surprise today, where is it?" I asked with all the tact that children are known for.

"Daddy's gone to get it, Princess, you have to be patient."

I was like a firecracker with a short fuse all through breakfast. I bounced in my seat, ran back and forth between the window looking out at the driveway, and peppered my mother with a million questions about what my surprise could be, but she just told me to eat my pancakes. I had barely managed to get one down when I heard the sound of my dad's car door shutting outside. With a squeal of excitement, I ran out to meet him in the car port, only to come to an abrupt halt when I saw that he had not come home alone.

He was carrying a girl who looked a little younger than I was. She was small for her age, delicate like porcelain and topped with tight gold ringlets that framed her round face. God himself could not have created a more perfect cherub than this child. She regarded me shyly with the purest blue eyes I'd ever seen and gave the tiniest of waves. I was immediately entranced.

"Well good morning, kiddo, happy birthday!" My dad chuckled and knelt to kiss me atop my head, "I guess you've seen your surprise." He gently placed the little girl in front of me and beamed at the two of us, "Her name is Suzie, what do you think?"

"She's my present?" I asked uncertainly.

Dad frowned, "Don't you like her?"

I looked from my dad to the girl and back again. He seemed perfectly serious. I had been asking for a sister for ages and now they'd gotten me one! I clapped my hands and threw my arms around Dad's waist, "I love her!"

He seemed relieved and tousled my hair, "Take her in and show mommy!"

I was only too happy to oblige. I took Suzie's hand and led her into the kitchen, where Mom oohed and aahed over how pretty she was. Suzie giggled and hid her face against my shoulder, which already made me feel like the best big sister ever. I took Suzie through the house, showing her all the rooms and introducing her to the cats, Dot and Smurf. When she reached out to pet Smurf, he swatted at her and bolted from the room. Fat tears immediately welled in her eyes and I hugged her comfortingly, reassuring her that Smurf was just a fat old grump and he was like that with most new people. The incident was soon forgotten once we reached my room and became engrossed in accessorizing my barbies.

Suzie and I were soon inseparable. Mom and Dad thought it was the cutest thing ever and took a million pictures of us doing the most mundane things; sitting at the table eating, splashing through a sprinkler in the back yard, lounging in our pjs in front of the tv with a big bowl of popcorn between us. It seemed they were thrilled their little girls were getting along so well.