The Blue Man

(A/N this is probably one of my favorite creepypastas to listen to before I go to sleep (haha), I put the narration up top if you want to listen to it, I'm not actually sure If i've posted this already but if I have please tell me)

If you see the Blue Man walk
Mind to him you do not talk.
For if you see the Blue Man smile
Your sweet soul he will defile
 —From "The Blue Man", traditional folk ballad

Samuel Douglas drove home from town, taking the main highway instead of the usual back roads that he was particular to. He hadn't had much business in town, so his visit was short and sweet. Spending time talking to the other men who farmed the area, the last few holdouts who hadn't been bought out by any of the big conglomerates yet. It wouldn't be too long before Ned Harrison sold though. Crops weren't doing well. Sick child in bed. Sell the land and get a pretty check in the mail. Maybe they'd even let you stay on and work the land.

Sam shook his head. There wouldn't ever be a time that he'd work another man's land, not for any amount of money. His was his and had been in his family since folks started coming out here to the Midwest and he'd be damned if he was going to be the one that let it go.

Sam groped for the apple that was rolling around on the seat next to him. Part of Sarah's big project to get him to start eating right. Loaded him up with all kinds of fruit and vegetables before he went anywhere. So he'd get into the habit of it, she said. He finally grabbed a hold of the apple without taking his eyes off the road and took a bite. He'd never admit it, but she was right. Damn fruit was growing on him. He snorted outloud at his wordplay and thought about telling Sarah later.

His thoughts drifted away as he saw a figure walking along the roadside, picking its way through the ditch and the weeds and the water. Hell of a day to be walking, especially since it was so hot. It was getting past 5 and the sun had already started its downward climb, but the sun's heat lingered here and could wear a fellow down while he was working.

As Sam got closer, he saw that it was man and a big one at that. Walking tall, and with a big stride. He was dressed all in blue from head to toe. Sam slowed down. Maybe he could give the walker a lift a ways, just to cut down on some of the distance. Or at least some water. Sam always had a couple bottles of water rolling around in here, another one of Sarah's contributions.

He stopped the car alongside the man and leaned over to roll down the passenger side window. The man had stopped walking and just stood there. His blue denim jacket looked heavy and couldn't be helping the heat any. The man's jeans looked worn and faded and Sam noticed there wasn't any mud on them, even though the man was standing inch deep in a puddle.

"Hey there! You need a lift someplace?" Sam called.

The blue man turned on his heels and black eyes took ahold on Sam's. The Blue Man smiled a radiant smile, showing most every one of his teeth. Sam leaned back into his seat and stepped on the gas hard. The car roared forward and clouded the Blue Man with dust. Had Sam looked in the rear-view mirror, he would have seen the man walking on as if nothing had happened, the smile fallen away like a lead weight. But Sam, startled, was far beyond caring and just kept on home; not speeding, but driving purposefully, all the way up to his house.

He parked out front, next to their lone tree, where he always parked and got out of the car, his apple laying forgotten on the floor, a single bite taken out of it. Sam walked stiffly up to the house, one foot in front of the other. He stopped on the front porch, his heavy tread shaking the wood planks. He bent down and began to rummage in the old toolbox that he always kept there and Sarah was always putting back into the shed where it belonged.