CHAPTER 5

I tried to remember the path to the karaoke bar, and ended up only making one wrong turn. I looked around the parking lot to see if there were any motorcycles... clear. I parked the car and brought my laptop inside. The DJ recognized me and I walked over to him. 

I opened my laptop to show him the sheet music for a song, and he told me they didn't have that in their selection. 

"Can you play the piano?" He asked. 

I shook my head. 

"We can get one of our guys to play that. Hey! Hey Brad! Would you play a song for this kid?"

A man in his 50s with messy hair and glasses came over. I handed him my laptop and he looked over the notes. "Yup." He said and set up at the piano on-stage. 

The DJ looked at me and said, "He doesn't talk much. He's just always kind of around."

I nodded and walked up on stage. I left the mic in it's stand and looked out at the crowd. "Um, hey. I'm Kurt. I was here a couple days ago. And, um. This is for my teenage dream."

Brad started playing the chords of a stripped-down, slowed-down version of the Katy Perry song. I swallowed and began to sing my version. 

About halfway through the song I started to cry again, but I pushed through and finished the song without having a total meltdown. The audience wasn't really sure how to react, and I wiped my eyes as I took my laptop from Brad and found an empty seat. I tried to keep the tears out as I watched a few more upbeat performances. All of a sudden, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and Blaine was standing there. I turned back around. I didn't want to see him. 

"Kurt. Can- can we go outside for a second?" 

I crossed my arms and glued my eyes to the stage. 

"Kurt, come on. Give me 30 seconds and then I'll leave you alone."

I gave in a followed Blaine to the back parking lot of the bar. I didn't know they had a back lot, but Blaine's motorcycle was parked there. 

"Kurt, that was a really good performance. And it made me really think about what I did. It wasn't cool, okay? I know that. I knew it from the second Gabe grabbed me and attached himself to me. This thing that we have, I've never had this with anyone else. And I guess, I just needed a break so let lose. I'm really, truly sorry. I know you must be broken inside."

I looked up at him, and I could see in his eyes that he really meant what he said. He looked up at me like a dog trying to be adopted. He really cared about me. It was then I realized that he didn't just want me naked, he wanted to strip down my emotions. 

I felt a tear drip down my cheek as I bit my lip. I nodded and let him hug me, hold me. 

"I love you," he said. 

I lifted my head from his shoulder. "I love you, too." 

We swayed in the wind, taking turns sobbing into each other until I saw the broken clock telling the time. It was 11:21. 

"Blaine, I have to get home before 12:00. Do you wanna watch a few more people sing?"

Blaine shook his head and took my hand. "Can I come to your house? To like, eat with you or something?"

I nodded and started walking around to the main parking lot. "You know where to go?"

"I'll follow you." Blaine said and put his helmet on. 

I walked to my car and started jumping up and down like a little girl. I started the car and drove past the back lot. I saw Blaine following me in the rear-view mirror and drove to my house.