CHAPTER 1

I pushed up my glasses and straightened my hippo broach. I was going to do this. I was going to ask Blaine out.

Blaine is not the class sweetheart. Don't let the cute curly hair and warm smile confuse you. Blaine is someone who will lead you on, get in your pants, and move on to the next boy. People don't really have a problem with the whole gay thing. Actually, the whole school is kind of welcoming to the LGBTQ community.

I walked passed his locker, number 154, and tapped him on the shoulder. He closed the cap on his guy-liner and cocked his hip out. "What do you want, Hummel?" He asked.

I squinted my eyes and focused on each line of his defined eyebrows. "I-I-was wondering if you wanted to go, you know, like, somewhere... with me! And umm..." I felt my head droop down and I have to push up my glasses again. "If you don't want to that's fine, but I just wanted to ask..." I trailed off again, and looked up at Blaine.

Something in him changed, I could almost see it. His sharp eyebrows softened and his eyebrow piercing sunk a little on his face. He squinted at me, and looked me up and down. I was sure he was going to push me to the ground or make a joke, but instead he took off my glasses. The world became blurry, and Blaine placed his hands underneath my jaw. It was like he was studying me. But, a different me. A more confident version.

A one way mirror.

He could see me, the layers of me, and I could only make out the outline of him.

I felt myself blushing, and he shoved my glasses back onto my face. "Sure, Hummel. Breadstix. 7:30. Tonight. I'll pick ya' up."

And with that, he put his painted fingernails into his pockets and walked down the hall to his next class. For the rest of the day, all I could think about was what happened. I never took my glasses off during school. A, becuase then I couldn't see, and B, becuase my dad thought contacts poisoned your eyes or something. I don't really know.

But I swear to god, I saw something in him. Something different than the rock-hard guy who could turn a straight man gay, but something pure.

~~~

When I got home I told my dad all about what happened. I made 2 minutes seem like 2 hours, and I could remember every detail.

"I'm proud of you, kid. If any guy could turn that punk-rocker into a teddy bear, it would be you."

I almost choked on my drink. "Did you just call Blaine a 'punk-rocker?'"

Dad laughed. "What? Is that not the right term?" He smiled and took a sip of Diet Coke.

My dad was everything to me. My mom passed away when I was about 8 or 9, and it's getting harder to remember her face each day. I'm an only child, so my dad and me kind of stuck together from then on. He didn't mind that I was gay. I'm pretty sure he knew all along. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not the drag-queen sassy Project Runway obsessed type of guy. But, my dad is good on picking up vibes.

I mute the football game. "Hey, dad? Do you think I'm a goody-two-shoes?"

He turns and looks me right in the eye. "Where would you get an idea like that?"

I shrug. "I guess I'm just thinking about stuff, you know. Like, do you think it's weird that I'm a Junior in High School and I still haven't, you know-"

"Woah, kiddo. I'm gonna stop you right there. Now, there's a difference in being a goody-goody and being careful and smart. You haven't... done it becuase you still haven't found the right person. And, if what you're saying is true, than maybe this Blaine guy is. But if he isn't, don't let peer pressure and stupid label stuff make you do things you're gonna regret. Promise?"