Chapter 14

There's not a lot that can distract Harry, but Louis Tomlinson is definitely one. The notes, books and the hundreds of words that are displayed in front of him are blurred. The words Louis speaks are jumbled together because all Harry can do is look at this man's face. Louis, although looking drained, still glows like nothing Harry's ever seen. With each blink, Louis' lashes brush against his cheekbones. And the worst part is Harry can't take his eyes off Louis'.

"Harry, are you alright?" Louis' voice snaps Harry out of his trance.

Harry blinks a few times, frowning to himself and looking down at his notes. It's been no more than half an hour since the lesson had started, and there's still a while left. Louis stares at Harry, eyes narrowed and jaw clenched as Harry inhales quickly.

"I'm okay, I'm sorry. I just go off in a daze sometimes, it's a problem,"

"It seems like it is. You need to remain focused alright? Now we've established that you're definitely on track with everything. So... is there anything else that you need help with?"

"I'm not sure. I'm just really worried because I want to do well and I honestly feel like I'm going to fail,"

Louis' lips turn up into a slight smirk, as his eyes glisten under the classroom light. Harry's breath gets caught in the back of his throat. Louis swallows and shakes his head.

"I think you're doing amazing in all honesty. If anyone else was in your position, they would be so behind that they'd probably have to repeat. Trust me on this one Harry, you're doing great,"

Louis watches Harry, reading his reaction carefully. Harry is a loose cannon; you never know what his reaction is going to be. His shoulders relax slightly and he smiles to himself, as he runs a hand through his loose curls. There's about a second of silence, before Harry clears his throat and reaches for one of his textbooks.

"I'm putting a lot of faith into you Mr Tomlinson. I really would be disappointed to see a fail at the end of the term,"

"I won't let you fail,"

Harry doesn't reply for a minute, as he starts to put everything back into his bag. Louis' eyes wonder over to the clock on the wall, taking note that it's half past 3 in the afternoon. He takes a mental note that he needs a shot of vodka once this is all cleared up. His thoughts are cut off when he realises Harry is chewing on his lower lip, eyebrows furrowed.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Have you ever been hurt like I have?" Harry's voice is quiet.

The question throws Louis completely off guard, and causes his mouth to run dry. His heart automatically begins to beat hard against his ribcage.

"I can't say I have," Louis leans back into his chair, lying through his teeth.

"Then how can you know so much about abuse? All those lectures you gave me, it just doesn't really make much sense,"

"I've seen a lot in my life and learnt a lot,"

The anxiety is starting to settle in the pits of Louis' stomach as Harry continues to frown. He has no idea where this deep conversation has come from, and he's terrified about where it will go.

"Have you ever seen someone close to you be attacked?"

Louis has to clench his jaw and close his eyes for a moment. Harry looks completely vulnerable, broken and so lost. This isn't a part of Louis' job description. Every part of him wants to pour his life story out, and make Harry aware of the issues that he had to face, but he won't. He won't ever let anyone know.