Chapter 3

Germany's Pov
Prussia and I stood outside of Canada's house awkwardly. The North American brothers were hard to understand in the form of actions. Canada flung open the door suddenly. "What's the hurry?" Prussia asked. "W-well, America was supposed to be here at 6, but-" He was cut off by the slam of a car door.
America strode toward the door casually and briskly.
"Alright, let's go inside. I'm cold."
He walked past them right into Canada's house.
"H-he didn't sleep last night. It might be hard to talk to him today."
Once inside, Canada offered us something to drink. I wasn't surprised when Prussia asked for beer, but I didn't ask for anything.
Within seconds America reappeared with a bottle of beer. He handed it to Prussia, the cap already removed, before sitting down next to Canada. For a moment all was silent. Before Canada cleared his throat. "So, if we are brothers, does that mean we ate related to Austria and Hungary?"
I shook my head, "Nien, they are close, ja, but not related to us."
"Your family's confusing man." America responded. "It's your family too." Prussia shot back. America started to stand but Canada pulled him back. My frown increased, why was America so touchy on this subject. I decided to change it.
"What's your favorite thing to do?"
The twins seemed shocked for a second, before Canada smiled. "I love baking and cooking." I nodded, "I do as well." Prussia picked up on my hint, or rather nudge, and answered the question. "The awesome me likes playing music." America was slower in his response, as though he didn't really know. "I guess I like writing, dudes."
Canada asked the next question, the most embarrassing moment in our lives.
It continued for almost three hours, until all of us were smiling and laughing. I wanted to ask why America was upset about the fact that we were bruders. It seemed strange to me. Eventually America asked if we wanted to watch a movie.
As we decided what to watch, America's phone rang. He excused himself and hurried out of the room.
Canada made popcorn and brought Prussia another beer. I started the movie.
10 minutes passed and America still hadn't showed.
15 minutes passed and Canada was beginning to worry.
20 minutes turned to 30 and then 40. Prussia mumbled something under his breath, while Canada stared sadly into the other room, the movie forgotten about. I stood up and walked into the dining room after America. I remember faintly hearing Canada say 'don't' but he didn't stop me.
America sat quietly at the table, his hands folded and elbows propped up. His knuckles pressed into his forehead, and it took me a moment to realize he was shaking.
"America?" I asked softly, "are you alright?" His answer was a jerky nod.
I grabbed a chair and moved it so I was facing him. "That's not true."
"Don't you dare scold me."
"I'm not."
"You sound like you are." He said, finally looking up at me. America was definitely not okay.
His eyes were puffy and bloodshot, his face was pale except for the red and irritated skin were he had appeared to have banged his head into something. His glasses were long gone.
"Is this about earlier?" I asked. America tipped his head. "What?"
"You didn't seem too fond of the idea that we were related." America turned away. "I could care less that we're brothers." America started slowly, "But I'm struggling to understand why."
"Why what?"
America was silent for a long time.
"I dunno. I don't wanna talk about it."
I nodded. "What about that phone call?" I asked. America bristled, "It was just my boss, don't worry about it."
I sighed, "Well, come back and watch the rest of the movie."
America nodded and followed me back into the living room, where finally, even as a family, we were able to get along and watch the movie.