Chapter 17: Missing You

Start from the beginning

"I'm so bored," I announced into a pillow.

My mother walked in with box of crackers. "Feet up."

She grabbed Demon as I swung my legs off the couch. My mom settled in with the dog at her side. "My show is on."

She held out her hand, and I slapped the remote into it. The screen turned to a gossip talk show. I laid my head back and stared at the ceiling.

"I'm not forcing you to watch, Aden."

"There's nothing else to do."

"You could go outside."

"And do what?" I flopped my arm over my eyes. "I'm not allowed to leave the house. I'm not allowed to do anything," I flung my hands out in front of me, before they dropped to the couch. "Can't you talk to dad for me?"

She shook her head. "I've tried. Word has spread about you running off to other packs, and he doesn't want to risk you being kidnapped." She tossed some crackers in her mouth and gave a couple to Demon.

"I doubt it's that bad," I muttered, folding my arms.

"Xavier has cars parked all around the house," she stated. "I noticed them when I went to the grocery store a couple days ago. They're still sitting out there today."

My mom's phone started ringing in the kitchen.

"I'll get it!" I jumped up and ran to where it sat on the counter. I smiled at the number.

"Aden, check my casserole. I turned the temperature down, but make sure it's not burning."

"'kay." I pressed the answer button. "Hi."

Titus laughed on the other end. "You sound excited."

"I'm bored out of my mind. This five second call has been the most exciting thing I've done all day." I opened the oven and saw an ordinary chicken casserole. "Looks good, mom."

"Thank you, sweetheart."

"What was that about?" asked Titus.

I leaned against the counter. "Checking to make sure dinner isn't burnt."

"And what are you having?"

"Chicken something or other."

Titus growled in disgusted so loud it startled me.

"What? What's going on?"

He let out a huff. "I'm driving to your house. My dad let me off early, and I thought I could visit."

"Oh," I sucked in my lips, "and you're a meat purist with something against chicken."

"We've gone over this," he muttered.

"Yeah, whimpy wolf meat," I mocked. "Too bad it's almost done, I guess you're just going to have to go hungry or stop being so damn picking for one meal."

"I have my dignity as a werewolf."

"Whatever," I breathed. "When will you be here?"

"Twenty minutes."

"I guess I better let my mom know you're on the way."

"See you soon, bye."

"Bye." I hung up and put the phone on the table, after checking the time. "Mom," I called going to the living room.

"Yes?"

I leaned against the doorframe. "Titus is coming for dinner. He'll be here in twenty minutes."

She closed the cracker box. "I was wondering why it was such a short phone call. Yesterday you two jabbered on for nearly two hours."

"It's the same as you and dad at dinner," I muttered, frowning.

"We don't spend two hours confessing our love for one another. We're a little too old for that." She stood and hurried passed me.

"The casserole is fine."

Banging came from the kitchen as she got out a pan. I peeked around the corner to see her putting some steaks in the microwave and pressing dethaw.

"What are you doing?" I exclaimed. That casserole was big enough to feed us all, plus she had multiple sides in the fridge.

"What?" She shrugged. "Titus doesn't like chicken. As his husband, I'd expected you to know that."

I groaned. "This is why he's so picky."

"That's a lie. He always taste a little bit. He finishes your dessert for you sometimes too."

"Whatever, do what you want." This was clearly an agreement I was bound to lose.

***

I opened the door, and Titus quickly pulled me into a hug.

"You have no idea how much I've missed you." He gave me a squeeze and rock from side to side, smelling the air. "What is that?" My mate gave me a confused look. "I thought you said we were having chicken?"

"My mom change the menu when I told her you were coming."

"Mrs. Perri is the best." He kissed my cheek and gave me a cheesy grin, before hurrying inside.

Closing the door, I followed him to the kitchen.

"Do you need help with anything?" he asked my mother as she tended to the steaks cooking in the pan.

"No, dear. Quint should be here shortly, and then we'll eat. He just went to the store to pick up a few things. So you and Aden can have the living room."

"Are you done with your show?" I asked.

"I'm recording it," she said happily.

"Hmmm..." I grabbed Titus's hand. "Come on."

We went to the living room and sat down on the couch. I settled in against the armrest, pulling my legs onto the seat. Titus picked them up and draped them over his lap as he scooted in closer to me.

"How are things with the pack?"

He took a deep breath. "Getting better."

Chewing on my lip, I stared at the screen. "When can I come back?"

Titus arched a brow and peeked over at me. "You want to come back?"

I exhaled sharply, laying my head against the airrest. "Yes, okay. I want to come back. I'm bored out of my mind. There's nothing to look forward to here." I motioned to the window. "I can't even leave the house."

Titus smiled and leaned over me. "What do you have to look forward to at the pack?"

I narrowed my eyes. "Don't get so full of yourself. You're still in trouble."

Laughing, he kissed my cheek. "I miss you too. I've forgotten what it was like to be alone in that room."

Sucking in my cheek, I dropped my gaze to the floor. "So, did you figure it out?"

He nodded. "I feel good, but it's up to your dad."

"It'll be like another three months, before he even contemplates the idea," I muttered. My eyes met his. "I want to be with you."

"You really are so adorable." He climbed on top of me and tried to kiss me.

"Stop it." I pushed on his chest. "If you wanted me to kiss you, calling me cute is not how it is done."

He pinned me. "But you are," he whispered in my ear.

He kissed my neck, making a trail to my lips. They parted, and Titus slipped in his tongue. I put my arms around his neck and pulled him closer. His hand touched my shoulder and pulled over the neck of my shirt. We parted, and he examined the faint scar where he had cut me.

I covered the mark. "They'll be gone soon enough." I smiled at him. "Then we can forget about it." I gave him a quick peck. "I'll convince my dad to say yes. One thing I've learned being married to you is I can be very persuasive."