Chapter 13: Go Away

My eyes slowly opened. It was too early. Rolling over, I was surprised to find Titus watching me.

"Hey," I brushed my finger against his cheek. "What's wrong? You look worried."

His ears splayed out. "I just can't protect you like I want too."

"God, Titus," I breathed, hugging him. "I'm not going to break just because your dad demoted me. No one is stupid enough to piss you off. Once the three weeks are up, you'd just kick their ass."

"I'd rather kick their ass now," he muttered.

I grabbed his muzzle and gave it a shack. "No one has touched me. Hell, no one's even talked to me but Darius, your parents, and River."

He whined like a hurt pup and rolled on top of me. I rubbed his back, enjoying the feeling of his fur between my fingers. It was funny to see such a terrify creature acting so pathetic.

"I'll be fine. I promise," I assured him. "I'll obey all the rules and stay clear of everyone. Alright?"

He let out a deep breath and climbed off me. "I have patrol with Darius, but Rupert will be around if you can't find my dad."

I arched a brow. "You've gone on patrol before, and I've survived without you. Stop worrying. Nothing is going to happen, nothing ever does."

Nodding, he climbed out of bed and stretched out. I sat up and drapped my arm over my knees. River hadn't shown up. I guess I was going hungry since I was too lazy to wake up by myself.

"I missed breakfast."

Titus glanced at the cooler. "Hurry and eat, before you go."

"What if Darius comes by?"

My mated gritted his teeth. "If he turns me in, I'll beat the shit out of him."

"Then I guess I have nothing to worry about." I climbed out of bed and went to my dresser. I pulled on some shorts and lifted out a blue t-shirt."

Titus pressed up behind me, startling me. "Why do you need that?" He laid his muzzle on my shoulder.

I glanced back at him. "I always wear one."

"Why do you want to cover this up, though?" He squeezed my upper arms.

Putting the shirt back, I went for a tank top. "Better."

"I guess," he breathed, wandered off across the room.

I eyed him. "You're acting kind of weird."

"I'm just worried about you that's all. My mark is meant to keep other werewolves away, and it can't do that if no one can see it." He put his hands on his hips and peered up at a skylight. "It smells like rain."

Pulling the tank top over my head, I went to him. "Boost me up, and I'll close it."

Titus lifted me onto his shoulder, and I reached up and pulled the cover over. We did it the other one as well. He set me down, and I smiled at him. His expression remained blank.

"Well, be careful," I hugged him. "Hopefully the weather isn't too awful for you."

He nodded.

"I'll be sure to stay in the cave if it does start raining."

After kissing the side of my head, he left the room. Something really wasn't right with that werewolf.

***

I snuck outside through the hot pool exit and hurried down to the river with my stash of food. I stopped a gold werewolf sitting by the bank.

"Hey." I climbed up the boulder and sat beside him.