Nightmares ~ CHAPTER 4

Comenzar desde el principio

Walking along the concrete pathway, Emma realised that it was quite cold. She stuffed her hands in her pocket to keep them warm - next time she would have to remind herself to bring a jumper. She’d never walked to school before. She knew the way, of course, but before she had always just taken the bus. After all, it was just way easier. The nut muesli bar had left a stale taste in her mouth so she took a mint out of her jeans pocket and threw it in her mouth.

After walking multiple blocks of differentiating houses, Emma finally arrived at her school. It was practically deserted at this time, but Emma knew that in exactly 10 or so minutes, the school grounds would be packed. She realised that walking was way better than taking the bus; besides the cold, walking to school had a lot of pluses. For one thing she was able to get to school earlier, therefore bypassing the rush of people getting to their lockers.

She arrived at her locker and dumped her bag in there. Her locker was an utter mess, so she decided to re-organise it a bit. After she was impressed with the new look of her locker she collected the books necessary for first period.

***

It was in the middle of Emma’s ninth period physics class that she almost fell asleep.

Emma’s physics teacher, Mr. Brownwell, was repeating what he called one of his most “important” and “valuable” lectures that Emma already knew all about. In fact, she had studied it multiple times, so there was no need for her to listen. Mr. Brownwell wasn’t the type of teacher who asked students questions during lectures, anyway, so there was nothing for her to worry about.

Emma stared out the window day-dreaming about the end of school. Boy was she looking forward to that! She thought, mentally smirking at herself for thinking it. It was then that she seemed to black out, but not into blackness or unconsciousness. She blacked-out into a dream, so vivid that it was almost real.

It seemed like the dream was at her school’s football field; she could see the goal posts, trampled grass and the white lines they used to mark the metres. “Help, someone call a medic!” Someone shouted, desperately and urgently. Emma didn’t recognise the voice, but she could tell that it was coming from a crowd of people, half of them dressed in sports uniform. One of the people broke away from the crowd and ran to the bleachers. They picked up a small black mobile phone, and as soon as it got into the person’s hand, it was flipped open, dialled 3 times and whipped up to the person’s ear. Emma’s attention was then drawn back to the crowd as many other teachers that Emma recognised from her school, came running out of what seemed like nowhere, shouting orders to the crowd. Suddenly the crowd rushed away, leaving a big gap for the teachers to run in; obviously following the teachers’ orders.  In that spilt second that Emma could see through the crowd, she saw a kid, probably a year younger than her, in sports uniform lying on the ground with his leg flung out grotesquely at an odd angle. Everyone that was crowding around the boy was either screaming in distress or shouting to get more help. It was complete pandemonium.

Then all of a sudden (-everything happened suddenly!) someone managed to scream louder than every other noise; that counted the screaming, chattering, ordering and shouting, of everyone around. “He’s not breathing, he’s not breathing, HE’S NOT BREATHING!!!” The girl who screamed sounded like she was hyper-ventilating and amazingly was able to manage to scream even louder the last time she said it.

That set everyone off.

Multiple people ran off, too scared by the fact the person wasn’t breathing, some even began crying. Everyone seemed to be in different stages of distress.

Then the sound of the ambulance sirens could be heard in the distance. As soon as the teachers heard the sound, they were ordering everyone away. Everyone quickly obeyed. Emma could tell that it wasn’t that they didn’t want any detentions; it was because a person’s life was probably at stake.

Then Emma had the urge to go out there and help the poor kid who was hurt and unconscious. She tried to sprint forward to the boy, but she found out that she couldn’t move; she couldn’t even feel her legs or arms.

Emma was about to panic, but before she could go overboard, the whole scene vanished and she blinked, and she was abruptly back in her ninth period physics class again. She was breathing hard with distress and completely taken aback. Had that just really happened? Was I really just there? Is the boy ok!? All these questions hit her fast, but she had no answers for them. RRRIIIINNNNNGGGGG, the bell rang for the end of school piercingly, jutting into Emma’s train of thoughts.

Emma took a big breath aghast; she hadn’t settled back into the real world of thinking yet. She blinked and collected her books still in a daze, and walked out of the classroom, slowly recovering from all her distress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed it!

I did! This was probably my fav chapter to write so far!

Oooh I’m so excited! I have sooo many different ways this story can go one from here......

REMEMBER – If you want to see the next chapter: THREE VOTES AND THREE COMMENTS!!!

xx Cait xx        :)