14. [Part 2] The Floor of Puzzles

Just as the wall closed behind her in a thunderous clap, Wren stepped into the new area of safety, her hand still tightly gripping onto the strange Mister's wrist. She scanned her surroundings. Many characters were strewn about—all the survivors amassed together—yet many were beginning to disperse just as quickly as they'd been unceremoniously forced to come together.

Wren glanced at the weak man beside her. He was still panting, she noticed.

"Um, thank you," the Mister spoke softly, tentatively uttering his first voluntarily words towards her. "I, I-" he seemed to be lost in his words. What a peculiar man.

Wren touched her chest, running her fingers over the soft fabric of her cotton shirt. No one had ever tried saving her before. In fact, most people she encountered were either dead or incredibly terrified because of her. She had accustomed herself to being the bringer of terror—she was free. There were no attachments, nothing but bathing herself in her carnal desire of fighting. However, when the man called out to her, she felt a strange pang in her heart...

Maybe, just maybe, it meant something.

Wren shifted slightly, and her suddenly, her attention was diverted as she noticed a flash of long black hair.

She whipped around to see two characters standing in the far corner of a stairwell. The ones she had been fighting earlier—the older girl with the spiked shoes and the young man with the sharp sword.

Her fight. Wren still had unfinished business left to complete.

She dashed forward, instantaneously coming before the two characters. A yelp ensued. Wren glanced down...

Oh. She had forgotten to let go of the man's wrist when she lept forward. He was currently groaning in pain half-collapsed on the ground, her grip being the only source keeping him up. Wren relinquished her hold on the Mister, and he dropped like a sack of rocks. It seemed painful. Whoops.

However, the man was not yet her main concern. She turned her attention immediately to the two characters before her. Fight. I want to fight. It did not matter whether or not she won or lost; what mattered was finishing what she had started. Wren crouched, ready to spring.

But then, before she could attack, the older girl quickly shot up a hand.

"Wait!" the girl spoke, "Just wait for a second and hear us out."

Wren narrowed her eyes. Why did she have to wait? Why did she have to-

"I think it's beneficial for you if you agree as well," the girl spoke carefully, her voice soothing. Noticing that Wren had relaxed slightly, she continued. "Right now, this area's space is very enclosed, and there are many people around, so many unnecessary distractions may impede us if we fight."

True. Wren could not deny that.

"Besides, this floor itself is still dangerous, so you never know what problems may arise. I think it's better to first ally ourselves together until time grants us a better fight. We can battle later without all the distractions and obstacles in our way. Wouldn't it be more fun that way?"

Wren blinked. She did not like thinking too hard; however, she was not stupid either. Though she knew the older girl was just avoiding a fight, Wren considered the circumstances carefully. It would be better to wait if she wanted an unobstructed fight. And as long as she stuck with those two... maybe she could eventually find even more dangerous people.

What did her brother always tell her again? "Let the small fish go so you can catch the big fish later."

"Alright," Wren replied, making her decision quickly.