10. Desire

Grey awoke, laden energy surging into his limbs. He blinked his grogginess away and sat up, glancing at his surroundings. He was still in the shed, the bright light from outside shining through. His chest—much of the pain was gone. The throbbing in his head had dissipated as well, leaving his mind more lucid and focused. How long had he slept?

Grey rubbed his eyes. The memories of his conversation with Asis before his slumber were blurry. Grey recalled her saying something about a mysterious figure...and a promise?

He glanced around, a myriad of questions dancing his mind. Now that he could think clearly, the magnitude that he was...alive hit him full force—how closely he had brushed with death, how easily his existence could have just vanished. Grey shuddered. He could not even comprehend how he was miraculously saved. Saved by a stranger.

He wished he had not passed out; he wished he knew what had happened, who the mysterious savior was.

Grey wiggled his toes to extirpate numb residuals of sleep. Where was Asis? He did not see her in the shed. Grey coughed, swinging his legs to stand. He staggered momentarily, body and mind disoriented by the sudden movement, but he quickly retained balance. Though his muscles hurt and his leg still throbbed, within the time he had slept, his broken bones and torn ligaments reset themselves. Now, he could put a little pressure on his leg.

Grey's bare foot softly brushed a piece of folded paper. From the lines stretching across it, he could tell it was ripped from his notebook. He frowned; he did not remember ever seeing the paper before or pulling it from his notebook. Grey picked it off the ground, listening to the crinkle as he unfolded it.

He read it.

And he froze.

***

Dear Grey:

This is a goodbye, for I will be moving up the Tower today.

In a few minutes, I shall set out to gather Light, but by the time I finish, I believe I will have obtained enough existence to go up. I do not know what the next floor will hold, but I am ready. I want to change this Tower.

I ask of you a favor. Please do not follow me. You and I are different, so I want you to live your own life. Stay on the first floorI know you have a friend who will keep you company. Can you promise me that, Grey? Do not break your pinkie promise with me. Do you understand?

Also, I have left you two red daggers as a parting gift. They are underneath your pillow. You are the one who first found them, so please just keep them safe for me.

This will be the last time I will talk to you, but I just want to thank you for being my companion up until now. When I first met you, I thought you were a shriveling weak boy, but you have truly grown until now. I have even laughed and cried with you, which I thought I would never do. I am glad you have matured until now.

You are great friend to me. Thank you.

Goodbye, Grey.

-Asis.

***

Grey's fingers let go as he fell to his knees. Numbly, he watched the paper slowly float to the ground, its edges catching air resistance as it seemingly danced in its descent.

Asis was gone. Gone.

He thought he had prepared himself for her departure. He thought he was ready. He thought he could understand her reasons. He thought he could contentedly let her go, keeping happy memories as a parting gift.