Part 5

After breakfast, and taking a thirty-minute shower, Edgar goes straight to planning out our escape. We have chewed over the possible, severe consequences that might materialize, but resolved that it's worth the shot. Edgar really hasn't got a problem; he can leave any time he wants. Well, he would've done it ages ago. But I can't quite put a finger on why he would risk his time for mine. But then again, I guess I would've done the same to someone I'm really close with. And I can't stop thinking of how he had been set up. As a result, I can't help but be angry with the people who made him land himself here. What were they thinking?

Nevertheless, he is Edgar the Calm Ocean. Not Edgar the Commotion; that would be me.

Edgar and I agree to set out our escape plan in the middle of the night. He says the elves will be happy to lend a hand. He also adds that they were the ones who had been suggesting him to break out from the beginning, that he didn't deserve the place, since they know his background story. But because of their friendliness, he resolved to dwell in.

"You're odd, you know that, right?" I say to him once we are standing in the dark tunnel that leads to the kitchen.

"So I've heard," he says, leading the way.

"Where is this escape tunnel you've been talking about?"

"Kitchen,"

"Of course," I huff. "Through the back doors, am I right?"

Edgar gives me a pained look. "Witty,"

"I'm developing,"

"Well, good,"

He reaches the same entrance that I am now familiar with. We heave the big rock, so light streams in through the hole that leads to the kitchen. At that instant, the familiar cries of joy greet us, as if the elves have been anticipating our arrival. Edgar hops out, and I follow suit. Elves come dashing at us and carrying food, like they always do. I find my favourite; Nafel. So far, she's the smallest here, and has a really high-pitched voice. She clings around my legs as I straighten up. I can't help but break into a wide grin as I look down at her. She has this really large, green eyes and really large bat-like ears, so when she looks up at you, you have this urge to squeeze her.

Edgar is kneeling down to talk to them, and he looks serious now that the elves have quietened down. "When are you not busy?" he asks them.

He gets a lot of answers, but he chooses two in the morning, which is perfect. The elves look a little gloomy now, knowing that Edgar is leaving them tonight. Well, I can only hope we're successful. If not, they can throw a party or something. Soon enough, when we are done deliberating, they start packing us food and I can't help but feel really appreciative of the things they have been doing to us. Even Edgar looks like he's holding back tears, and I think he's being quite dramatic thhere. It's not as if we will really break out from here. But I can't be too sure.

One of the elves volunteer to wait for us outside when we're ready to leave, check if the course really is clear. Honestly, I really don't want to find out what we'll be faced with once we've broken out. But Edgar looks calm as always. He is humming to himself once we are back in the tunnel, heading towards our cell, and I think I should be doing the same. Well, not the humming part. Really, I've been so anxious from this morning, just thinking of breaking out, thinking of Kayla. I didn't even finish my breakfast. I couldn't think properly. And I leave these all to Edgar, who thinks he knows what he's doing. I hope he knows more than what he's doing.

Breathe, Raine. And I breathe.

We haven't even reached the narrow part of the tunnel when there comes a loud bang from the outside. I whirl around, afraid that we have been busted. But there is only Edgar, who looks just as confused. Bang! It goes again, and I step closer to Edgar. BANG! We're silent, not daring to breathe as we strain our ears for more. Soon, we hear a bloodcurdling roar, followed by a floor-quaking, louder bang, that causes Edgar to push me against the wall.