Chapter 31.

Harry.

I woke up the next morning, feeling at ease. I shuffled around the bed a little and saw Zayn sound asleep next to me. I smile crept on my face and it grew wider when I saw the abandoned clothes on the floor. I glanced back at Zayn, tempted to wake him up so that's exactly what I did. I moved closer to his body, practically spooning him as I pulled him close and bent down, gently nibbling at his ear.

My fingers grazed over his warm skin and he shivered a little, moaning in his sleep. He pulled the bed sheet up a bit and I smirked a little, bending further over him. "Z, I hate to do this to you but it's time to wake up." I soothed him, nuzzling my face in his neck. "Dick." I heard him murmur and I laughed.

"Good morning to you too, babe." I replied sarcastically and he sighed, turning round so that I was hovering over his face. "'Morning." He smiled, his voice croaky from sleep. I frowned a little when I saw beads of swear forming on his forehead and I pressed my palm against it, feeling his temperature. "You're burning up." I stated half heartily and he shrugged, pouting a little. "Are you all right?" I asked, sounding worried. His face was relaxed as he stared up at me. "I'm fine. Just a bit sore from last night, that's all." He assured me, reaching up to peck my nose.

"I hope I didn't hurt you." I frowned again, pulling away from me. His smile faded at my words and he tensed a little, making me curious. "What?" I questioned and he shook his head, sliding out of my grip as he headed into the bathroom. "Zayn?" I called, following after him. He didn't reply. Instead, he continued to walk barefoot into the bathroom so I followed him as I put some fresh clothes on.

"Z..." His body froze when I stood in the doorway and he turned round, slipping on a pair of boxers and clean sweats. "You didn't hurt me." He spoke quietly and even then I knew it was a downright lie because his eyes went to the floor. I stood in front of him and grabbed at his wrist, causing him to wince in pain. It was only then I noticed the battered bruises all over his body; either from me, or from the fright, I wasn't sure but they were still there- and I had caused it. I gasped a little when I grabbed his wrist, realizing that the finger marks digging into his skin was exactly the ones that fitted mine. I had hurt him. When I promised myself to be careful with him.

"Zayn..." I trailed off, unsure of what to say. "It's okay." He kept repeating those words that meant nothing to me. "W-what happened?" I frowned and he gulped. "Your eyes went dark, and...I don't know what happened, but you didn't listen to me. I...you were rough, a bit. B-but you came back to me." My eyes widened at his words as he moved closer to me, his eyes scanning my face. "I'd always come back to you." I promised him and he smiled softly and when I kissed his neck, I realized it was damp with sweat and I frowned again. "You need a warm bath, babe." I decided and he chuckled. I went to turn round but Zayn stopped. "Harry? I don't feel so good." I heard him say and when he attempted to grab at my wrist again, I turned round only to see Zayns body collapse and sink to the floor.

I froze and stared at his body, getting a fright from his unpredictable movement. "Shit." I swore loudly, bending down to his level and shoved a towel under his neck, pressing my palm against his forehead which was still roasting hot. "Z, don't do this to me. Not now." I whined, stroking his cheek gently. I sighed deeply when his body didn't move and went to get my phone to dial 999.

When I hung up, I bent down to him again, trying to waken him. "Zayn c'mon baby. You can't do this to me now." I said, shaking his shoulders a little bit and when he didn't respond, my eyes started to water. When the ambulance came, I let the doctors and nurses in Zayns flat and they put his lifeless body on a stretcher. He was strapped up and an oxygen mask was placed over his mouth and nose. The only thing that was reassuring me was the steady rhythm of Zayns chest rising and falling. "I'm sorry son, you're gonna have to stand out the way." A doctor ordered, placing a hand on my shoulder and moving me backward into the bedroom. "You don't understand, I need to be with him-"

"You can follow us up to the hospital, we'll meet you there." the doctor soothed, squeezing my shoulder tightly. I brushed him off, frowning at him. "D-Do you know what's wrong with him?" I asked nervously, watching them carry Zayn past me. The doctor sighed, gazing down at Zayn too. "Well we're not exactly sure yet although he is having a few breathing difficulties but once we get to the hospital, we'll soon find out." He smiled and I nodded, following him to my car.

When I arrived at the hospital, I was already given Zayn's room number and followed after the doctors at a quick speed, hurrying to get to Zayn. They had already patched him up and he was now propped on his hospital bed; dressed in a hospital gown as he slept. An oxygen mask was still in place except this time, a needle was sticking in his hand, along with a few other wires connecting to the heart rate monitor which was the only sound reassuring me that he was still alive. The hospital blanket was brought up to his lower half and his head was tilted to the side, facing me. When the nurse took off his oxygen mask, his eyes fluttered open and they fell on me, his face filled with confusion. I smiled weakly, sighing with relief when the doctor walked over to me. "Did you find out what happened to him?" I asked and he nodded.

"Unfortunately, he was affected by low blood pressure and that's what probably caused his black out. If he receives any more breathing problems or sickness or dizziness, let me know. He should be good now but we're gonna keep an eye on him for the next couple of days, just in case anything else happens." he smiled at me and I nodded, thanking him. I was about to go to talk to Zayn when a nurse walked up to me and I frowned as she stared at me. "Hi there, are you friends with Mr Malik?" she questioned and Zayn and I exchanged glances. "We're more than friends." I replied and her mouth formed into the shape of an 'o', her face turning slightly pale and I frowned at her reaction. "Is there a problem?" I asked suspiciously and she hesitated before answering. "W-well, it's just, we found multiple bruisings on Mr Malik's top half that don't look accidental and we were wondering- since you were there, and all- if you had anything to do with this?" she stuttered and my jaw clenched, my hands bawling into fists. My reaction set her off and she took a few steps backwards. "You think I would physically hurt my boyfriend?!" I shouted, causing a few others to stare. She jumped, her face filled with fear and when Zayn cleared his throat, I looked at him. "N-no, I just thought that y-you-"

"Harry would hurt me like that, doctor, I think you've got things wrong. Even if he did, you have no right to butt in our business, that's our job. Not yours." Zayn's remark surprised me. He was never the one to answer back to anyone- well, maybe he did a few times to me, which was reasonable- but I never expected him to stand up for me, after what I'd done to him. Zayn was the type of guy who'd wear his heart on his sleeve and he'd never mean to hurt anybody. The nurses face turned a bright pink before she quickly apologized and scurried off into the staff room. I let out a frustrated sigh and sat down on one of the visitors chair, opposite Zayn. His smile was sympathetic, soft brown eyes against mine. "I honestly thought she was gonna throw me out, not letting me near you at all." I admitted and he chuckled weakly. "So did I. But I'd make sure that didn't happen." he assured me, squeezing my hand and I smiled back at him. "What am I like, eh? You must be tired of saving my life." he smirked and I rolled my eyes. "I actually quite enjoy it. I'd do anything to keep you safe." I promised a pink colour rose on his cheeks, leaving me laughing.

"Thank you for last night though, I...I really enjoyed it." Zayn blushed further at his words and I grinned. "I did to, if I don't say so myself." I smirked and it was his turn to roll his eyes at my cocky comment. "You just focus on getting better, yeah?" I asked hopefully and when he nodded, I reached over to gently kiss his forehead and watched his eyes close.

______________

So um....apparently people think this is still like Dark? I'll leave you with that, after reading this chapter ;) but on a brighter note, I can't believe all the support I'm getting for this book! Thank you so much! Can't wait to hear all your lovely detailed comments again. Love you all, mwah :) x