Chapter 2 -- The Goddess of the Dead

ابدأ من البداية

So he can be annoying and arrogant while keeping that monotone voice steady. "Background check? You conducted a little background check on a school girl!?"

"I must warn you to keep in mind  who you are talking to right now."

But I couldn't care less. Threatening me was one thing, but invading my privacy was a whole lot more different!

"Like I care!" I snarled to my phone as I felt an unfamiliar swell of anger inside of me. I don't recall being this angry... Wait. There was one time... but it was just a blur. I heard him take a sharp breath, obviously shocked. "You can threaten me all you want but you can just go to hell!"

"Don't play with the fire, Ophelia," He replied after being so silent for a minute or two.

"I can do anything I want and you're not in the place to reprimand me! You're not my—" I stopped. I felt my anger wash away and a lump formed in my throat. Oh no, I did not see that one.

"Oh, you hit yourself right on the spot?" He murmured, sounding so pleased that he managed to make me bite my own tail.

"Shut up."

Silence.

"Do you remember anything from your past?" He asked.

I hesitated. Am I willing to give any information to this man? Well, never mind. He already had my background checked anyway.

"No."

"Do you want to know more?"

"Yes."

"Do you even know your past?"

For a moment there, I wasn't able to breathe. It all came to me so fast that I almost couldn't catch up; all the memories I had with my parents from when I was 11 up to the night they were killed. I couldn't remember anything before that. It was like the 10 years before that wasn't even... there.

"N-no," I mumbled after a while. "What do you know?"

"Just the general information, though some classified information were kept even from me. And I don't understand why..." he trailed on, sounding like he was thinking deeply as he talked. I realized that this was the longest sentence he ever said to me. Was this that important?

"... I have such records," I finished for him since I also have that question in my mind.

"Exactly."

I thought about it for a moment, it won't be that bad if I come meet him. If he's going to kill me right there, then at least I got to know my past.

"Can we meet?" I asked.

"Why?"

"I want to know what more information you have about my past that even I don't know."

Silence again. "Does it not occur to you that I might be lying?"

I sighed. "If you are and you're planning to kill me, then I have nothing to lose anyway." Except my sorry excuse for a sister, that is.

We agreed to meet in the old park at the far end of the town. In less than 20 minutes, I was a bit wary when I arrived there but, not that surprised when I didn't see him anywhere. I looked around for any figures, shadows, or any presence at all but there was nothing. Not wanting to go back to my dorm feeling so lost like this, I sat down in the swing, pushing myself back and forth, feeling the comfort of the night.

"I'm sorry, Ophelia. I have to do this. It's the only way to keep you away from them." A woman is cupping my cheeks. She's trembling and she's crying but I like her. I love her. She takes my hand leads me to another woman waiting by a big black car. I also like her. She looks nice. I hear them talking but I can't understand. I pull at the woman's hand. I want her to carry me up high. I smile at her and she smiles back. "You will be safe now." The woman murmurs to my ear. It tickles me and I laugh aloud. She laughs too but she stops. I want her to laugh. I like her laugh. It sounds good. Her eyes are wide and scared. She hands me to the other woman. Why? Does she hate me? I cry but she turns around and smile at me. I smile again. But her face change and becomes pained. Why? There are silver things sticking out of her body. What are those? The woman falls to the ground. The woman carrying me enters the car in a hurry and we drive away. I cry out, "M—"