Chapter 2 -- The Goddess of the Dead

***************** I EDITED SOME STUFFS LIKE THAT 9 YEARS AGO, I CHANGED IT TO 5 YEARS.. OH AND SOME OTHER STUFFS TOO XDD *******************

I won't kill you. Not yet.

I've only met him last night but his monotone voice disturbed me more than anything before. His threat never left my mind. He's dangerous, alright. No not just dangerous, he's deadly. Something about him messed me up. He frightened me, but... it wasn't just any other fear. I was frightened not only because he could have killed me but also because something in my mind was stirred up.

The person raised his arms and in his hands, he held a long thin pole with a curved blade in the end.

There was a flash of lightning.

I watched as the blade gleamed and how that gleam immediately disappeared when he brought down his arm.

I remember the person's weapon, it was a scythe.

Oh my God! Should I call the police?

Would they let me give my statement even after 5 years of struggling for memories? Or would they assume that I'm just a mere attention-seeker?

Should I report that I met Death Bringer? Would they believe that? After all, I have no concrete evidence of our encounter.

Wait. I have evidence! The dead man in that alley!

I glanced outside the window, where the moon illuminated the night sky then at the phone on my study desk, feeling the tension that radiates off me. Am I even ready to plunge in to this story? To be hunted by him?

I stared at the phone but then decided not to intertwine myself with that tangled world. I was already crawling my way out, so why take a ride back?

Just as I was about to turn away from the phone, It rang. The cheery tune was completely different from the banging of my heart. I clutched my chest and breathed slowly. In. Out. In. Out. Until I finally managed to follow the rhythm and calm down. Why was I so scared? It's not like I'm going to get killed by a phone.

I laughed inwardly and took the phone with me to the bed. I snuggled underneath the covers, grateful for that familiar comfortable warmth. It felt like here was the safest place I could be. I flipped my phone open—winced as the light from the screen blinded me for just a moment—and held it to my ear.

"He—" I started to say, expecting Mellissa on the other end.

"Ophelia." I couldn't be mistaken, it was his voice. That same monotone yet has a deadly feel to it. How in the world did he managed to know my number?

I sat up quickly, blinking furiously to remove the swirly circles from my eyesight. My heart once again hammered in my ribs, making it hard for me to breathe. I took a few painful inhales to try to make my voice as steady as I can manage.

"H-how did you get my number?"  I asked. The other line was silent but I could still here the wheeze of the wind in the background. He was somewhere windy, the port maybe?

He chuckled, revealing the tiniest bit of emotion he could have. "It was fairly easy."

Surprisingly, I was suddenly annoyed. He was not in any place to chuckle! He was frightening a school girl who hasn't done him any wrong!

I gritted my teeth as I spoke, trying to merge all my annoyance into this one word. "How?"

"Don't be afraid nor be angry. I just ran a little background check on you. Not that it will matter by the time I really need to take your life."