Chapter 1 -- The Death Bringer

Hey guys! I hope you enjoy this~ 

This is my first time to do this genre so, please bear with me! :3

News Daily

      As of this morning, the police found a body in a deserted alley at Townsport. According to the investigation, multiple cuts and gashes have been found on the body. The victim was identified to be Raymond Smith, a wealthy drug dealer who was already suspected for sexual abuse and murder of the recently missing women. This is the 7th case but the police and detectives have yet to solve the unknown identity of the killer, who had been given the name Death Bringer for temporary identity purposes. We advise the people to be home before it gets dark so as to avoid any casualties.

The school bell rang, signalling the end of our break. I let out a sigh as I set the newspaper down. A new murder again? I went through the past cases, all of which were the same; multiple cuts, long slashes all over the body and not only that, the victims were always suspects of heavy crimes. Does that mean the killer is a member of the police then? Is that even possible? It is possi—

“Ophelia! Hello? Earth to Ophelia!” My thoughts were completely dismissed when I realized that Mellissa was calling my attention. Her eyebrow was raised, her eyes narrowing into thin slits and her mouth was set into a thin line; she must have called my name for several times.

I forced a small laugh. “S-sorry, what was it again?” I asked, hoping that she wasn’t mad.

She narrowed her eyes even more to imply that she really is mad, snatched the newspaper from my hands and scanned through the headlines. She rolled her eyes while reading, turned to me and then once again rolled her eyes.

“Seriously, Ophelia? You’re reading these kinds of news?” She said, sounding exasperated.

“U-umm, well… it’s informative…” I mumbled, turning my gaze to the floor.

“Oh, come on Ophelia! You’re a 17 year-old girl! Not a 45 year-old detective! You gotta enjoy you’re social life!”

“Okay fine,” I said in defeat but my comeback already ready to fire. “But no matter what you say, I will not go to that club with that many boys coming with us,” I declared firmly, knowing that this is the reason why she always tells me off when I read the newspaper about murder cases.

The sternness drained from her face and she pouted like a child. Bingo.

“Ophelia! You have to come! The bonding won’t be the same without you!” She pleaded, grasping my arm as she sat on the chair beside me.

I gave her my most uninterested look. “No.”

“Fine! Have it your way!” She said, then crossed her arm. So much for her stern enjoy-your-life persona a while ago.

Seeing as she won’t budge, I decided to reason out. “Mellissa, there’s another reason why I can’t go with you remember?” Yesterday, Sophia, my sister, was assigned for library duty; which is to rearrange the returned books and place them in their proper shelves. Unfortunately, I ended up having to do her job for her, and by that I meant I was blackmailed.

“Oh right, you’re angelic sister,” she sneered. She stuck her tongue out at Sophia, who was seated 7 chairs away from us.

“So we’re cool now?”

“Okay, cool. But if I get informed that you just wasted your time reading those articles about murder cases that never even gets solved; I'm telling you, I'll drag even if it cost your life.”