(5) Are You Buying All The Bullshit He Fed You?

Live Your Life Right (Unfinished)

I once heard a man crying over a dream once lost
All I could tell him was keep dreaming on
Life has its turns—this ain’t no surprise
So keep dreaming on, and live your life right

Noah had been right; I had been approached by more than 10 people letting me know how much of an impact my final song had left on them. Total strangers were coming up to me, letting me in on their deepest darkest secrets as some sort of way to relate to me. It was a magical feeling; none of my other songs had ever created such an impact. I was flying on cloud nine; nothing could bring me down…Except the sight of Colton and who I now knew was his fiancé. My mind said the word so aggressively; I had to keep reminding myself I had no reason to hate her. She had done nothing to me. In fact, if anything, I had wronged her.

Even though Colton was arm and arm and mingling with her, I couldn’t help but notice his glances my way, if almost to keep tabs on me. At least I knew I looked fabulous, I was wearing a dark blue, baby doll shirt that was sparkly and frilly, along with black lace leggings, and my new favorite booties. My hair was curled into loose curls under a black beaded headband that matched my black, beaded bracelet. My make up was dark today. Probably the most daring I had ever been. The past few weekends Kayleigh and Brooklyn had been giving me make-up tutorials and I was really catching on. Tonight I had opted for a smoky eye with just a bit of blue incorporated. I looked smoking, and I knew it.

“Come on, let’s go talk.” Brooklyn grabbed me by the arm and whisked me outside. “The new song was a hit!” She hugged me, jumping up and down.

“Thank you,” I let her go and we sat down on the steps outside the building.

“How are you handling the whole Colton thing? I saw you guys exchanging some lingering looks. What’s the deal?” She glanced at me.

“It’s hard, I mean, seeing her, and knowing that she is real. And that she was real when he kissed me. It’s difficult, but I’m trying not to think too much about it…” I trailed off as Isaiah waltzed straight up to us.

“You guys were great!” He came up clapping.

“Oh stop it!” Brooklyn giggled, jumping up and into his arms. They were very affectionate all the time, but were always aware of their surroundings, so after a quick kiss, they asked if I wanted to head out with them, but I decided to stay. I knew I would be alone, without Brooklyn or Madison, and out of my comfort zone, but leaving that early, when it wasn’t even past ten yet, seemed too cowardly.

I watched them walk away, then decided I liked the fresh air and might stay put for a few minutes. I sat back down and closed my eyes, just breathing in the air, feeling my surroundings. When I opened my eyes, I noticed that someone had quietly slid right up next to me. At first, I was sure that someone was Jace, but after almost 30 seconds of staring in disbelief, I realized it was Jax, not Jace.

“Hey,” He greeted me.

I didn’t even respond, I mean, after everything he had put me through at that party and then at school, he didn’t deserve a second of my time. I just looked away and then stood to walk away from him.

“Peyton,” he grabbed my wrist to stop me, and before I understood what was going on, I realized Jax was kissing me. Actually kissing me! My eyes were still open due to shock, but he was eagerly kissing me, I didn’t even have time to register a thought. He broke the kiss off, leaving me breathless. “You’re different, Peyton.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked; my mind still hazy from our kiss.

“It’s like, we’ve gone to the same school our entire lives, and our paths have never really crossed until now, why is that? What changed? It’s like you’ve been standing here in front of me the entire time, but only now am I seeing you clearly.” He ran his fingers through my hair. “Where have you been all my life?” And then he lowered his lips to mine again and again, leaving a hazy mist lingering in my mind and in my heart.
***