Chapter 23: Nashville Without You

Start from the beginning

I pulled the box out, opening it and using the knife that Dean had also packed to cut a small slice for myself and a bigger slice for him.

"Ya know, cherry pie is one of my favorite things," Dean started, taking the slice from me. "Behind you, Sammy, and Cas of course." I rolled my eyes, taking a bite of mine, savoring the taste. We finished our slices in silence, though I finished mine before he did, and looked over at him innocently until he let me have the last bite.

"I love you," I purred once I finished that bite, setting out plates aside and repacking everything into the basket.

"I love you, too," Dean replied bemusedly before looking around. "Why'd you bring me up here?" I sat forward a bit.

"My mom used to bring me up here a lot before something big in my life happened—whether it was a horse competition or a show, my graduation even, I was always bouncing off the walls," I replied smiling slightly. "It was always so quiet up here, it would calm me down... But, as you can see, it's also good for picnics." The older brother nodded and a long pause ensued.

I crossed my legs, patting my lap. Dean moved himself in front of me, taking the hint and laying down, resting his head on my lap. I leaned against the trunk of the tree behind our resting spot, looking down at him, gentle stroking his hair. He gazed up at the sky through the branches, and slowly fell asleep, grasping for my hand and gripping it as we sat there.

I relaxed there for a while, looking out over the scene, watching as the wind blew leaves from the branches above us. The leaves landed on the lake, and sent ripples across the lakes otherwise still surface. It was quiet. I felt myself dozing off as well as time passed, my grip on Dean's hand loosening slightly.

I didn't quite know how long we slept, but I was woken by my phone vibrating in my pocket. My eyes flew open, and it took me a moment to register what was going on before reaching down and pulling it out. It was Sam.

"There have been more sightings, we should probably head downtown to see if we can pick up on anything—were you asleep," he started once I answered the call, hearing me yawn.

"Mmf, a little bit," I replied stretching, looking down to find Dean was looking up at me sleepily. "We'll be back soon, give us like 20 minutes."

With that we said our goodbyes and hung up. I slid my phone back into my pocket, coaxing Dean to get up and help me roll up the blanket. I put it back into Tenebris' saddlebag and untied her bridle before putting my foot in the stirrup and pulling myself into the saddle. Dean followed suit with the basket, pressing a quick kiss to my forehead.

"I haven't slept that well in a long time," he replied almost matter-of-factly, stifling another yawn. I giggled, urging the horse under us into a quick trot before replying.

"You forget to sleep—I forget it eat. As long as we keep reminding each other it all works out in the end."

We progress through the forest and across the field at a quick pace. I dropped Dean off at my house before proceeding towards the stables, telling him to pick me up there and that Cas knew where to go. Taking the trail I had left on, I lead Tenebris back to her home, returning her and saying goodbye to both my favorite horse and Mrs. Campbell on my way out. Standing in the gravel parking lot I looked up, noticing clouds were slowly encroaching on the blue expanse. Looks like we were in for our first fall storm.

My Camaro came speeding around the corner, slinging gravel across the road before stopping in front of me. The Impala followed suit with Dean driving and Sam in the passenger seat, stopping behind my car. Cas opened the driver's side door, making his way to the other seat and allowing me to sit down in the driver's seat, buckling up. Swinging my car around, I pulled up beside Baby as Dean rolled down his window.