Roses on White Lace

A/N: If you know the title reference, I'm using this in more of a parent-to-child sense here and taking out the romantic aspect...

"I need to hide, and fast," I squeaked in a panic. "If my mom or stepdad catches me, I'm fucked! You think I'll be safe if I hide in the studio? Y'know what, I'll be in the studio!" I darted down the stairs without a second glance, calling back, "I'm gonna leave the doors cracked so I can listen!" Then I rushed down to the studio, doing as I said I would, hiding in a blur of fear. I couldn't even believe that they came after me.

As soon as the door was opened, I heard a hiss. "Where the fuck is that little bitch?" My stepdad growled, and I bit my lip. "We know you're here, Melody! Get the fuck over here!"

Vicky, Sonic, and Trixie knew to stay calm and stupid, thankfully. "Who's Melody?" Vicky asked, and I tried to even out my breathing. "The only other girl that lives here is a Stella. Are you sure you're not mistaken, sir?" She stayed completely calm, and I gave her so much credit, because I felt about ready to cry.

"Don't play games here, you stupid girl," my mom shouted, and I sucked in another breath. She was high, of course. Fuck. "This is Michael Starr's house, and I demand to know where his daughter is, now." I crept up the stairs, staying out of sight, but close enough to get an eyeful of the situation. Vicky crossed her arms, and Sonic stood up taller to seem more intimidating. Trixie, however, retreated into the kitchen, and I wondered why. "She's my fucking daughter, and she's coming home with us whether you like it or not," my mom continued.

"Or what?" Sonic challenged. "She's an adult, you can't tell her where to go."

My stepdad, however, was having none of it. "Or I'll rip your fucking throat out."

"Try me."

It all seemed to happen in an instant. My stepdad lunged in for Sonic's throat. Sonic and Vicky held their arms up in defense, Trixie calling the police in the background. I leaped out from where I was, jumping in front of the two of them. That's when I felt a powerful punch hit my eye, knocking me back. It hurt like a bitch, but there was no way in hell someone else was about to take the fall for me.

Vicky held my mom back, and Trixie and Sonic tried uselessly to rip my stepdad off of me as he started pummeling the absolute hell out me. I kept fighting as much as I could to squirm away, but it was useless. Finally, I heard the faint sweep of police sirens surrounding me in the background. The last thing I remembered before I blacked out, though, was the sound of an opening stretcher. Then it all went black.

-Three Days Later-

"How much longer should she stay here, then?" asked an unfamiliar voice to my left. I didn't want to open my eyes; I could tell just from staring at my eyelids that there would be harsh whiteness when I woke up, I pretended to stay asleep, using my other senses instead. The left side of my face hurt a lot, but nothing compared to the white-hot pain along my right rib. The rest of me only had a slight soreness to it.

There was a sigh from above me. "Well, Mr. Starr, I'd say until the day after she wakes up. We have to make sure her ribs and such are alright for her to use. And you do know there was a bit of alcohol in her system, right?" I mentally groaned. It was a nurse; oh joy. A nervous laugh came from my dad, and that's when I decided to make my presence known, to diffuse that tension.

"Dad?" I asked, confused, sitting up slightly. A radiating pain shot through me, and I mentally sighed, a visible frown coming across my face. "Aren't you guys supposed to be having your photo shoot?" How long had I been out for?

My dad laughed a bit and shook his head. "Honey, that was yesterday. You've been out for a few days. Your friends cleaned up the place, even though we told 'em that they didn't have to. We've all been waiting for you to wake up, really. They got you some clothes for tomorrow and your journal. Oh, and you have quite the shiner, y'know." He paused for a moment and then asked, "You up for visitors?" I nodded promptly.