The 34th Floor - Chapter 48 - Noah

The 34th Floor

Chapter 48:

Noah

I tentatively took a seat on the couch. This place had taught me to be cautious of my surroundings and so as I sat down, I had no idea what to expect. I was unsure if Richard would be willing to hurt and kill the woman he had loved. When I didn't get stabbed in the back again or chained to the couch, I figured it was safe enough.

I crossed my leg over my thigh and rested my back against the plush cushion. I scanned the photo frames that had beautifully been organized across the wall. There was one image in particular that made me linger my gaze for a while longer. A young Richard was hesitantly intertwining his hands with Patricia. She looked surprised by Richard's gesture. There were a blur of people behind them, but to the two of them no one else mattered. It must have been the first time Richard made the effort to hold Patricia's hand.

I looked down at my lap, reminiscing about all our journeys through the penthouse. Our willingness to tackle the unexpected and our ability to trust one another in time of trouble. We all took a risk, a giant leap for our survival, and within it all we found love and friendship.

I smiled. The image of Richard and Patricia locking-lips and holding each other in their arms hung before me, framed in gold and placed on the mantle. I am not really sure if their love prevailed, but Richard wanted it to at any cost.

I felt the weight of someone sitting down next to me. The movement pulled me out from my trance. Looking over, I found Rachel perched on the couch. Her face was visibly pale, contrasting sharply against her dirty blond locks.

"Are you alright?" I asked, sending her a soft smile.

"Yeah, just thinking, that's all," she replied curtly.

"It's just feels weird not jumping off of walls or drowning," she added shortly, fingering the tool bag around her waist.

I nodded my head in agreement. "I am half expecting a Richard King cut-out to slide across out of the wall with a butcher knife directed straight at my spine."

Rachel laughed, covering her mouth with her palm of her hand. I smiled a toothy grin. I felt a pang in my chest, recalling the harsh things I had mouthed to Rachel what seemed months ago. She was far from a monster now. The guilt gnawed at me and Rachel must have noticed because she stared at me with curiosity before quickly looking away.

"You guys would not believe what I just found," a voice hollered. 

I flickered my gaze towards Cade. Rachel had risen from the couch. 

"Listen," I said, jumping off the couch and standing in front of her before she walked away.

Rachel looked over my shoulder.

I licked my lips, stalling. "I...I know I can't take back what I said to you, Rachel, but for what it counts, you really redeemed yourself. You're not a monster and I don't want you to go on thinking you are one."

She averted her gaze to meet my eyes. Her lips curved ever so slightly into a smile. "Thank you, Noah. You have no idea how much that means to me."

"Guys! I might explode into smithereens if you don't hurry up," Cade sarcastically called.

Rolling her eyes, Rachel followed the origin of Cade's voice, ears perked in interested. I, on the other hand, analyzed her for a few minutes longer.

"That bastard," Cade cursed.

"What happened, man?" I asked, abandoning my seat on the couch.

Grace and I made our way to where Rachel was standing, observing Cade as he rambled on about what he had found.