The 34th Floor - Chapter 9 - Cade

Author's Note:

I know it has been a while since I have posted the next chapter to The 34th Floor, but I didn't want to post until I knew I had at least five or six more chapters already written out. It turns out that I cannot find the paper in which I wrote the rest of Chapter 12 so I am going to have to go back and see what I can write. I hate to rewrite things because I know it won't come out to be exactly like the orginal or better then the original.

Please comment, vote, and read. I don't think I stand a chance in the Watty Awards, but I do really want to try to at least get through the first round. That's all I wish for. THANK YOU to everyone who has already voted to at least one or two chapters of this story. It may not be as good as yours or other Wattpad Users, but I do try my best.

The 34th Floor

Chapter 8:

Cade

After the idea that Rachel had suggested, everyone scrambled around, quickly getting a snippet of the photo on Grace’s camera and starting to rearrange the furniture in the room. As I was looking over Grace’s shoulder, I felt the side of Rachel’s arm graze mine. She, however, didn’t seem to notice.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said what I had said back there. I just couldn’t get myself to wrap around the meaning of the world ‘love.’  It hardly meant anything to me anymore especially after mother passed away and my father became weak under the depression of her death. I pretty much had to live on the streets and pick up whatever was left for me to grab a hold of. I didn’t want to fall in love with Rachel. I didn’t want to grow attached to her. This penthouse gave me the worst feeling ever and if anything was to happen to me or to her, I know neither her, nor I would be able to ignore the loss.

“Cade, are you going to help us?” Grace questioned politely, shaking me by the shoulder.

“Sorry Grace. I…I just zoned out.”

“I know.” She had a knowing smile on her face as she stumbled after Noah who turned around over his shoulder and greeted her with a smile.

Grace grabbed the candle sticks off of the piano and placed them on the large chest. Rachel, on the other hand, picked up the lamp that was on the side table next to the throne and put it elsewhere. I remember the side table going in the center so I dragged it towards the middle a little as Grace dropped a silver tray on the side table I had dragged. She showed me the picture again, trying to jog my memory. The Noah and I both grabbed a hold of the throne and dragged it next to the side table after moving Sarah so she was leaning against the piano instead. Grace carried a stack of books while Rachel brought a large antique lamp. While Grace dropped the books on the side table and Rachel placed the lamp on top of that, they moved aside and joined us.

“Everything is how it is supposed to be,” Grace said, looking around the new set-up we had made.

“Wait,” Noah interjected, ripping the phone out of Grace’s hand.

“Where is the floor lamp that is in this image behind the throne,” Noah said, searching around the place until he found it huddled in the corner.

He threw Grace her phone back and scampered to the lamp, grabbing it with body hands and hauling it in place behind the throne.

Nothing happened again.

“There has to be something else that we are missing,” Rachel said, tapping her chin.

“Yeah or we pretty much wasted our time,” I mumbled while extending me hand towards Grace for the phone.

“Everything is the way it is in the photo,” I said, narrowing my eyes.

“Can…can I see it?” Sarah, who was sprawled on the floor in the corner, begged.

Everyone, startled that she had spoken up, agreed while I paddled over towards her. I kneeled down so it was easier for her to see since her hands were all bloody.

“There is only one thing missing,” she said, looking me in the eyes.

“What is that one thing?” I whispered to her.

“A person to sit on the chair,” she said, scrunching up her face in pain.

From crouching down next to the vulnerable girl, I got back on my two feet. However, before I could leave and give back Grace her phone, Sarah’s weak little fingers wrapped around my ankle.

“Pick me up and set me on that chair,” she said in a little voice.

“If there is going to be any harm done, it is better that it is done to me, who is already weak, rather than someone else,” Sarah said, looking up at me with large beady eyes.

“No, Sarah, we can’t let you do that for us.” Grace, who had heard the conversation, walked over and bent down to Sarah’s level.

“Yes, yes you can,” Sarah whispered, trying to keep her voice strong.

“We aren’t going to let you,” Rachel added as she stood there with her arms folded over her chest.

“Yeah, because Noah, who is very strong and muscular and is immune to danger is going to do it,” Grace announced, gripping Noah’s arm and pulling him towards the throne.

“Whoa there, when did we agree to do this,” Noah protested.

“Right now, this very second, according to me,” Grace said, pushing on Noah’s chest with her hands. She almost looked like a little kid.

“You couldn’t push me once down there in the foyer and you can’t push me again, sweetheart,” Noah said as he grabbed a hold of Grace’s wrist.

“In that case,” she said, tapping her chin as if deep in thought.

“Oh my fucking gosh, what is that!?” Grace’s eyes widened as she pointing behind Noah, inches away from the top of his head.

“What?!” Noah twirled around, fear lacing his voice.

Catching him off guard and satisfied, Grace pushed Noah towards the chair, successfully resulting in Noah landing on the throne.

“You little-“Noah was cut-off by the second of wheels turning and a lock opening.

Grace turned around, her hair swinging to the side slowly. Noah, inches away from getting up, grabbed a hold of the armrest of the chair. Rachel had her mouth hanging open in shock and Sarah was trying to crawl around the chair that was blocking her view. I just stood there, midway in taking a step towards where Rachel and Grace were.