The Counselor

RYLAND

I downed the last of my Hennessey and put the blunt back up to my lips. I looked at the shattered glass and got mad all over again.
Rue had to be cheating on me because she always came home smelling like that same cologne. I sat on my bed and looked at the plasma television that I wasn't even watching . It was background noise.

I looked at the bedside table and picked up the gold frame that held a picture of Rue and I when she was pregnant with Rylee.
She was smiling hard at the camera and I was on my knees kissing her belly.

"What the hell you mean? She is our mom. She raised you, didn't she? Your mom is a dope fiend, a junkie! She got locked up and left my mom to raise your ungrateful ass!" I heard Rylee yelling.

"Man, what the fuck?" I said. I took another hit from the blunt and put it out getting up. I opened my door and looked right. I saw Rashaad pushing his twin away from Rylee. Rasheed looked like he was gonna try to hit his little sister.

"I wish the the fuck you would! I'll lay your ass out right here." Rashaad said.

I walked into their room and looked at my kids. "Why the fuck y'all in here yelling at 2 in the morning?!" I asked drunkenly.

Rylee turned around and looked at me and her nose scrunched up. Then the little motherfucker had the audacity to roll her eyes at me and push me on her way out the door.

I was on her heels. She was almost to her room when I snatched her by the arm and turned her to face me forcefully.

"You didn't hear me?" I asked, squeezing her arm tighter. She tried to pull away but I tightened the grip harder.

"Daddy, you're hurting me!" She said finally getting enough strength to tear her arm away from me. In that moment she looked like Rue...

SMACK!

Rylee hit the floor and looked up at me as tears came to the rim of her eyes. I had never hit any of my kids. The tears finally fell from her eyes and I took a step back realizing what I had just done. I dropped to my knees and extended my hand to my oldest daughter.

"I'm so sorry, baby girl. Rylee, baby, I'm sorry." She quickly stood up and ran to her room and closed her door.

What did I just do?

RUE

I had been sleeping on Tia's couch for weeks before I had mustered up the courage to go home. Ryland had called me numerous times apologizing and my daughters had even reached out to me. The only reason I had to seriously go home was because I had to tell Ryland something and because I had gotten a disturbing voicemail from Rashaad telling me my home was going to shit because Ryland had been drinking more and smoking and being aggressive with them. I had a feeling that he hadn't told me everything but, I decided to let it go.

I sat in the parking lot of the office building that was for couple and marriage counseling. I looked over at Ryland who was running his hand over his curls.
"You ready?" I asked. He nodded and placed his hand on my swollen baby. "We are going to get our Shit together. This baby, was the extra push I needed."

I smiled and put my hand over his. I was pregnant. I know I talked all that shit about not having anymore kids, but everything happens for a reason, right?