A thought strikes me. "How did you get here so fast?"

"Grace, you've been out for three days."

My brow furrows in confusion.

"Out?"

"You do remember what happened- don't you?"

"I- I don't think so. I know I was camping. I was-"

It all rushes back. Trigger. Avery. Chey.

"Oh my god," I whisper, my voice shaking. I ball Jace's shirt in my hands, gripping tightly to him like a vice.

Chey.

I remember seeing her. She showed me things.

That can't be possible, can it?

She showed me Jace.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper, burrowing my face in his chest. "I'm so sorry."

"Hey, you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Jace's gruff morning voice shakes me out of the memory.

"I'm fine," I respond, offering a tentative smile. "Just thinking."

"Sounds dangerous," he teases.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, maybe for you. Did I wake you?"

"No, I woke up on my own," he chuckles. "You did freak me out a bit though, standing over me and staring off into space. That's serial killer material."

I smack him lightly on the arm, spinning around and heading to grab my car keys.

"Where are you off to?"

"Tyler's," I respond. I swing by the kitchen, grabbing a protein bar and a water bottle and tossing them into my bag.

"Tyler's? That's it. That's all I get." I turn to find him in the doorway, a pouting expression on his face. "You're not going to divulge all the juicy details to me? I'm offended."

I laugh at his feigned distress. "I could tell you. Or I could show you."

He raises an eyebrow.

"Come with me; I'll fill you in in the car," I chuckle, grabbing his wrist and dragging him behind me.

"We'll let me at least get dressed first," he says, glancing down at himself. I chuckle at his checkered pajama pants.

"Yes, please go put on a shirt," I tease. "And appropriate pants. And-"

"Closed toed shoes, yeah, I know," he finishes, rolling his eyes as he turns and heads upstairs.

"Yeah, keep rolling your eyes," I call after him. "Maybe you'll find a brain back there!"

I hear his rumbling laugh as he walks away.

*****

On our way to the barn, I reiterate last night's events, making Alice the central topic while leaving out a bit of my more private details. Like the way I felt a flutter in my belly while I was talking to Tyler, and for the first time I thought the butterflies were telling me winter is finally over.

"And you would have bought her? Just like that?"

I smile, glancing at Jace out of the corner of my eyes.

"Just like that," I repeat. "I wasn't really thinking. I'm not sure what I would have done if they'd taken me up on the offer."

Despite my attempt to keep my eyes on the road, I notice an awestruck look on his face.