prologue

isla, a bar in sydney

"Isla, you're working the VIP tonight," Alex, the bar manager says, brushing his hand over my shoulder. "It's gonna be a busy one."

It's the start of my shift, and if I knew I'd be VIP, I would have made more effort. Like an extra coat of mascara or something. Usually works to sell a few more drinks. Drunk people love a flirty lash line.

Although I prefer the normal drunk people downstairs, it's nice being considered good enough to be serving the rich and sometimes even famous.

"What's the occasion?"

"We're expecting a band and some of their crew. Give them the booth, and a prep a couple of bottles for the table."

"What band?"

"Fairly well-known around here, but keep calm. No spilling drinks or fainting, alright? Act and look your best, we need to make some good money tonight."

"I'll put some ice down my shirt and I'll be fine," I say, laughing.

In all honesty, I'm a little bit nervous. Famous people never actually phased me before, and I've served more than a couple of them. They come and go all the time. But knowing that Five Seconds of Summer are in town, my senses are tingling. I just hope they'll choose any other bar than this one tonight. And if it's them, I hope they'll be nice.

Working as VIP hostess, you do bump into some rude celebrities sometimes. It's quite tiring. Especially when you know they have lots of money and still won't give you a decent tip.

"Great, that's what I like to hear. I knew I could trust you with this." Alex bumps his fist against mine. "Stay cool," he jokes.

"Cool as a cucumber," I say, more to myself than anything else.

Luke moves up to the bar with a couple of others, a wide grin on his face. "It's my birthday," he says.

And for a moment, I see my summer flashing before my eyes in five seconds. Luke is the same, but different.

Less lanky and awkward, a lot more confident but still slightly boyish in his facial expressions.

I don't expect him to remember me. We've both grown up since we were seventeen, but I could never forget those blue eyes.

They're the same eyes I looked into as we awkwardly decided to lose our virginities to each other. Although his stare is less nervous, more confident now as he looks back at me.

And then he sees me.

He frowns slightly, in concentration. Searching his mind; rummaging the very back of his memory bank.

Here we go.

"Isla?"

"Luke."

He might barely remember me, but I know him. I may or may not have come across him in the news. Sydney is proud of the biggest band to come out of Australia.

I serve them their drinks. And then, I try to stay in the background; to act the way I always do. But I feel a pair of blue eyes on me, and it's difficult to stay professional when a drunken blonde birthday boy is trying hard to chat me up.

"Happy birthday," I say, handing him another drink.

"Would be a lot happier if you were on this side of the bar, babe. Thanks for the drink, though. I guess I'm thirsty."

He calls me babe, and usually I would be appalled. I have to remind myself that such tricks don't work on me. It's not working. It shouldn't be working.

"Evidently," I mumble.

"How about you?"

"What?"

"Thirsty? Pour yourself a drink and sit down with us."

"I'm not allowed to-"

"It's my birthday and your job is to make sure we have a good time. I won't have a good time unless you join us," he pouts.

Goddammit. It's working.

"One drink," I say, giving in to him.

I, if anyone, should know how easily one drink can turn into a couple. But I never expect that one drink to mark the beginning of something much bigger.

One second I'm lost in his eyes, the next I'm flying high in the clouds, only to be brought back to reality by a stubbly cheek brushing against my skin. In just one night, I'm given a fast track ticket into his world.

But I never expected the itinerary to include such a long list of names and places, frustration, regret and broken love.

-
new story! first impressions/thoughts/questions?

hope you like it so far

much love
~lauren