Happy Birthday, Carmen (pt 1)

Start from the beginning

"So, before you walk any further," he starts, peering in the living room. "I made you a surprise."

"You made it?" I laugh. Oh no.

River nods and jumps spastically.

"Yeah, with my own three hands!" He screams.

"You mean two." I correct.

"Three." He smiles.

"I don't get it."

"I don't either." He laughs. "Okay, let's go!"

I slowly trudge down the hallway behind him until we reach the living room.

Piper and Flea's eyes lock on mine once I enter; River still darting to the kitchen.

"Hey birthday girl." Flea says, getting up to embrace me.

I wrap my arms around Flea and squeeze him slightly.

"Hey Flea." I say.

He pulls back and scruffs up my hair, causing me to laugh.

"Happy birthday, you big slut!" Piper yells.

I laugh.

"Wow, thanks." I say sarcastically.

"Enough chatting, Carmen. Look what I made!" River screams from the kitchen.

When I look over, I see River carrying a cake.

Its covered in layers of chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles, although it's far from professional.

"This took me three hours!" River yells, adoring his creation.

I don't bother to examine it, rather I set the cake down and wrap River into a tight embrace. He rubs my back.

"Am I the greatest or what?" He wonders aloud.

"I'd say." I answer, and allow him to hold me a while longer.

"Okay guys, so now it's time to get to business." Piper starts, adjusting herself on the couch so she can face us all. "What's the plan for tonight?"

"Yeah," Flea says. "She's 21! We need to go all out for this, it's a big fucking day."

In my mind, I already know what we'll result too. Although, I'm curious to see if they have the brain power to come up with something different.

"Let's get drunk!" Piper screams.

The rest of us scoff in amusement.

"Didn't see that idea coming." I say under my breath.

River chuckles; he's the only one who hears me.

"How about a party?" River suggests. "A big party right here. And we can all get drunk too, if we want."

Flea shoots up and smiles, clearly approving.