The Move (chp1)

Bittersweet. Sour. Simply wasn't delightful. I put the dark chocolate down and stared at the crumbling edges. The continuous shaking of the car made me nauseous.

I looked over to my mother who was solely focused on driving and trying to not breaking down. Looking at her face made me want to well up in tears. But I breathed in and let the tension in my throat ease.

Looking out the window and meeting my reflection kept my eyes busy as I tried to recognize who I was staring at. I can't find a trace of myself in that reflection, just a shell that doesn't seem to hold any life.

"So did you get to say goodbye to all your friends honey?" She asked. "Yeah, almost, Jaz took one of her spontaneous run away trips again." I replied coldly.

Thinking about Jasmine's wild soul always put a smile on my face and little bit of warmth in my heart. But now my heart is a cold stone that can barely keep me going. It has no time to stop and smile.

"Why do I have to do this? Why do I have to move? Don't you think my life is already hard enough. And don't you dare say 'be lucky you are in a first world country' because that's not what I am talking about." I stiffly stated with pure resentment.

"Amarathine Heiser, you aren't the only one suffering, we just need to spend some time away from each other." She lectured me.

"Oh we both know that only you want to spend time away from me because right now I need my mother and all I see is a whiny litt-" And what I said broke the wall that was holding back her spiteful comment. She did a full on break. My body slammed against the seatbelt and I winced with a little pain. "WELL CAN YOU BLAME ME IF I SEE ANA'S FACE EACH TIME I LOOK AT YOU?!" Her voice rang with anger. "Take your stuff and get out, your father's house is one block over."

Beeps of the cars behind filled the empty stare that stood between my mom's unwavering eyes. I broke it as I unbuckled my seatbelt and leaned over the glove compartment to grab my bags and luggage. I ungracefully stepped out the car as the luggage and bags weighed me down.

I gave her one more cold glare as she avoided eye contact with me and stared out through the car window.
I slammed the car door closed and she instantaneously drove away.

My stare drove holes into anyone who looked at me, and a lot of people did look at me. Since my father chose a small town with mostly white people I stuck out, a lot.

(Amarathine Heiser)

My light caramel skin and curly afro made me stand out

My light caramel skin and curly afro made me stand out. Really stand out.

I pulled out my golden iPhone and plugged in my earbuds and stuck them in my ears. You can do this Amarathine, dad is a clueless klutz with another smaller kid to worry about, you'll get to be a free soul.

I took a deep breath and walked to the next block.

//////

I knocked on the grand white door with gold detailing and waited. The door creaked open and a frail old white lady was behind it.

"Amarathine, correct?" She asked. I nodded. She looked up at me with grave pity. I bit back
a sly comment.

Let the pain soak in, then squeeze it all out, has been my motto for this month of October. What used to be my favorite month is now just a tomb of the death of my twin sister. Mariana Heiser.

///\\\///\\\///\\\      ///\\\///\\\///\\\

I stepped into the long forgotten landscape of the flaunting house. The expensive paintings that lined the walls and the artifacts of many different backgrounds that my father studied on his spare time. Or so that was what I remembered.

I haven't been here since I was 8 years old. 7 years in total since the last time I've been here. The dark mahogany planks of wood that covered the ground of the house was accompanied by the stone walls.

I followed the maid that I vaguely remembered her since she barely spoke most of the time when I was a small child.

"Your father is waiting for you in the kitchen." She said in a cracked voice without making eye contact. I nodded and headed towards the kitchen.

I looked around and saw him. He held a light blue mug filled to the brim with coffee. A smaller boy around the age 8 or 7 was eating macaroni and cheese. Then my father's eyes looked up at me.

"Mariana!" The little boy said as he ran over to me with the cutest grin and a little joy evaded his eyes. "Oh, no I'm not-" but I got cut off.

"Are you her ghost?!" He asked again with excitement.

"I'm her sister." I immediately choked out before he could say anymore. The light in his eyes dimmed. "Oh well, hi." He said a little bit quieter.

"Okay Raph that's enough." My father said as he lured him over with Mac and Cheese.

My father smiled at me and walked over. He was a kind man but a clueless one to.

"Amara, su tan agradable verte de nuevo." It's so nice to see you again. He cried as he gave me a long tight hug. "But I wasn't expecting you." He finished with a thick Spanish accent. "Mi madre." I said as my blood ran cold just thinking of my mother. Antonio shared my look of distaste. "I understand. Stay here for as long as you want. I'll sign you up for the best high school." He replied.

But I just wanted to ask one question. How did she die.

It chilled me to the bone. I still didn't know if she got murdered, if it was an accident, or suicide. All I know is that they found her body in Lake Michigan.

My curiosity seemed morbid to me.

___________

Hopefully you enjoyed (:

Vote if ya wanna
Comment what I should improve or something you simply liked

Gracias (: