Just Move Along

"Shh..."

  "...Stiles...."

  "Stiles...!

  Let me...!

  I need... He's the only..."

  "Give him some time...

  He's still healing...

  Please... outside..."

  "He moved...

  Look, he's waking up..."

  "Stiles? Can you hear me?" Blinding lights streamed through my eyelids, my pupils burning as they adjusted to their luminance. I looked down at the blurry little lines poking out of my sleeves and running down my arms. Two strange blobs of white and turquoise came into vision, intrigued expressions on their face.

  The first one lightly placed their hand on mine and continued with, "Stiles? Can you talk?" Her familiar curly hair was tied back ever so gently and her welcoming smile made me feel safe.

  "You're a sight for sore eyes, doc.." I smirked. Melissa chuckled and rubbed my thumb with hers.

  "Hey, Stiles."

 "What's the report, then..?" I hated how my voice sounded: scratchy and pitiful. You could barely hear me even when sitting next to me.

  "You have minor head trauma and lost a lot of blood.. You're lucky we caught the bacteria before it infected too much of your wounds." She reached over to a tiny circle and held it in front of me. A mirror that had been so conveniently placed.

  "Jesus Christ..." I gently tapped the split lip and rubbed the gigantic scab above my left eye, dry blood flaking off. As if that wasn't bad enough, my hands were bruised all to hell and little slits dotted my arms all the way down to the wrists. It was then that I felt the giant gash in my side. I slowly pulled up my shirt and stared in horror.

  Staring at that huge opening in my side made me realize how petty I was. How susceptible I was to injuries. In my eyes, it was pathetic..

  "I understand how hard this must be... Do you need some time alone?" Melissa stared at me with shining brown eyes. I swallowed harshly and breathed.

  "Um... Is anyone here to see me?" I asked, tossing away the question with a tinge of nervousness. Secretly, I wanted Derek. Just Derek. I had an insatiable need to see him, but knowing Scott, he would be the first person to even arrive at the hospital. Which, I'm not entirely against. I mean, he is practically my brother..

  "Yes. I called John.." Oh boy... Who knows what he's going to do when he sees me. "He said he was stuck in traffic. You should have heard him.. And then there's Scott... The instant I called him, he was on his way," she explained. I bit my lip anxiously.

  "Is there anyone else..?" Melissa nodded slowly, turning towards the doorway. Instantly, tears welled up, and before I could force them back down, Melissa glanced at me with almost a pitiful face and left.

  "Hello, Stiles.." Derek murmured. He was slouching with his hands in his pockets and unstable eyes. His expression was completely blank. And there was nothing.

  Silence.

  That was the hardest part. He was so damn quiet! I was almost sure I could hear his heartbeat. We exchanged a devastating look that lasted for the longest moment of my life. He stared at me and I just stared back. It was then that I decided to speak.