Ruth 1:3-5

The sight of her unconscious son brought tears to Naomi's eyes. He was thoroughly bruised and battered. She sat next to him on the mat and stroked his hair while she sang to him.

A moan came from the other side of the room where her second son lay. She quickly wiped her tears, stood, and went to his side.

"Mother..."

"My son. Who did this evil thing to you and your brother?"

"They were so many..."

"Why would people do this?"

"We have wronged so many people..."

She studied Chilion's face. He reminded her so much of her late husband. He inherited Elimelech's features while his older brother, Mahlon looked more like her.

His eyes stopped on his brother's still form. "Mahlon..."
Tears gathered in his eyes.

"He needs to rest, and so do you." She wiped away the tears that we're already spilling out.

"Mother...you were right."

Her heart beat quickened as he said those words. "Why are you talking like this? You're scaring me."

"Mother, please forgive us."

She felt a rush of bitter-sweet emotions. For so long, she had longed to hear her wayward sons say those words to her. On the other hand, she didn't like the tone of his voice. He sounded like someone who was giving up.

"Chilion-"

"Pray for me, mother..."

"Our Lord is merciful. He will surely forgive you."

Fear clouded his expression. "Mother..."

"Chilion!"

He took a deep breath and became still.

"No!" She tried shaking him, but he didn't respond. "Chilion!"

She kept screaming his name until Ruth and Orpah rushed into the room. Ruth tried to calm her down, while Orpah knelt by her husband's side, crying.

♣♧♣♧♣

The burden was too much for Ruth to bear. Slowly but surely, she was loosing her husband, and there was nothing she could do about it.

She laid a damp cloth on Mahlon's forehead. The fact that he had come out of his unconscious state was a miracle in itself, but it was not enough to guarantee his recovery. Instead, his condition became worse by the day.

"How are you feeling?"

He gave her a weak smile. "Tired."

"Rest."

She stood and began to walk towards her mother-in-law who was standing by the doorway, watching her."

"Ruth," he called out weakly.

She turned to look at him. "My love."

"Don't leave me."

She looked to Naomi for approval. Naomi nodded and left.

She returned to her former position-kneeling by his bed-and proceeded to take his hand. She was disappointed when she did, for the warmth she often looked forward to when she took his hand was no longer there.

She looked into his eyes, recalling their moments together. Their marriage was filled with happy memories. Initially, she found it hard to cope with her mother-in-law who obviously despised the fact that her sons chose to marry Moabite women, but as the time went by, she grew to love Naomi and her God.

"Sing to me."

She took a deep breath and began, singing the song she often heard Naomi sing.

"The Lord is our strength;
The Lord will keep us;
No matter what we do;
He will never leave us-"

"Do you believe that?" Mahlon interrupted.

"With all my heart."

"Why? How can you be so sure?"

"I've watched your mother."

Naomi had something she had never seen in anyone else. Ruth had never understood what it was, but she knew it had something to do with Naomi's unwavering faith.

"Ruth...I am not going to get better."

She was shocked by his pronouncement."Do not say that."

"Look after yourself."

Ruth was afraid for Naomi. She was already affected by Chilion's demise. She didn't know how Naomi was going to react if Mahlon left as well.

She let go of his hand. "Please stop."

He sighed. "Sing..."

"The Lord is good;
The Lord is merciful;
Blessed be the name of the Lord."

♣♧♣♧♣

She usually ignored their disgusted expressions and insultive words, but as Naomi walked by, she felt the effect of their words. Their accusations hurt her more than any insult ever could. It took all her strength to hold back the tears from falling. Especially not in front of her daughters-in-law.

They accused her of killing her husband and sons. Some called her a witch and warned Ruth and Orpah to leave her before they joined their husbands in the grave. Others were of the opinion that she had been cursed because she refused to worship chemosh, their god.

Tears gathered in her eyes, blurring her vision. She tripped on a stone, but quickly regained her stability.

"Fall and die!"

"Witch!"

"Chemosh curse you!"

Ruth lost her composure. "Stop it! Don't talk to her like that."

Naomi laid her hand on Ruth's arm to calm her down. "Don't. Ignore them."

More curses were added to the previous ones.