Chapter 5

Cress couldn't really lift any boxes or antidote crates because she was so small. So she just did the technical part.She finalized the number of boxes and signed a few things on her portscreen, sending them to the hospital. Before she knew it, they were all finished and ready to go sight-seeing, Cress couldn't wait.

They met outside of the Rampion on the landing pad. "Alright, Wolf and I are going to look for tomatoes, we'll meet you in about three hours? for lunch." Scarlet zipped up her red jacket and looked at Thorne.

"Um ya, that sounds good. We'll comm you the restaurant. And we're staying at Gordon Plaza, by the way," Cress said, taking Thorne's arm.

"OK, see you then," Scarlet said, and the couples went their separate way.

Thorne and Cress went to Madison Square Park first, just to look around. Cress was simply awed by the massive buildings, the hover traffic, and the people. People and androids were everywhere; Cress was almost afraid of losing Thorne in the crowd. She held is hand so tight even Thorne whispered, "Aces, Cress, I'm already missing two fingers on this hand; I'd like to keep the whole thing."

Cress smiled and looked up at him, "Sorry, Captain. Its-its just...so many people."

They came to a crosswalk leading to the park. They were about to cross when a group of people crowded in front of them a began crossing first. "Tell me about it," Thorne said, slipping his arm around her shoulders and walking across.

They walked around the park for about 15 minutes. Cress noticed that Thorne kept glancing at his portscreen, but she didn't ponder on it much. Maybe he's waiting on something, she thought.

Cress was crouching on the ground, petting someones's dog, when Thorne suddenly called out to her, "Cress! Come here, quick!"

"Coming!" she called back. She said good bye to the dog and his owner and walked over to Thorne. "Yes, Cap-" She was cut of by Thorne pulling her off the ground and kissing her. She was wide-eyed surprised at first, but then closed her eyes and stayed in the moment. Finally, he put her down, both of them smiling. Putting her tiny arms around her neck, she said, "What was that for?"

Thorne just stood there smiling at her, waiting for her to realize something. Cress glanced around his shoulder and gasped. Nearly running Thorne over, she pushed past him to go to what she saw. Holding out her gloved hand she tried to catch it. "Snow," she whispered, more to herself then anyone else. She turned around to face Thorne, who was already behind her. "Look!" She held up her hands, but the snowflake was already melted in the fabric of her glove. Disappointed, she looked up in the cloudy New York sky.

She smiled wide with excitement when she saw more snowflakes falling to the ground. She spread her arms out and began turning around, beginning to see the white flurries everywhere she looked. Thorne smiled at her, thinking how he could deserve someone like Cress. Sweet, innocent, Cress, who has yet to see the world. Who he loved, more than himself.

Cress stopped spinning and faced Thorne, meeting his gaze. "Thank you," she said, on the verge of tears.

He walked toward her, "Trust me, the pleasure is all mine." He pulled her into another kiss as the snow continued to fall.All the cold that was in Cress was washed away by the warmth of the kiss. She thought she would never get used to the sensation that she felt every time his lips touched her. Her arms wrapped around his neck and she savored the moment, wishing it would last forever.

They broke apart and Cress felt a tear slid down her cheek. Thorne wiped it away with his thumb. "Awe, don't to that." Cress laughed and hugged him tight. They stayed there for a long time before Thorne took her into a nearby cafe and ordered hot chocolate. They sat by a window, watching the snow fall.