Oh Shift!-12

Chapter 12 

Shooting Stars

After stopping for about a ton of frozen yogurt the pack and I finally made it back up into the mountains back to their secluded campsite. The whole car trip back kind of put me on edge because none of the Carriways would speak. Hale barely even spoke to me, something was defiantly messed up. I quietly asked Hale what was wrong while we sat in the back seat of the Explorer but he just pulled me closer to his side and whispered that there was nothing I had to worry about. Obviously they were keeping something from me, and sooner or later I was going to find out.

Ethan pulled the car around the back of the cabin and Mickey quickly jumped out of the car to open my door for me. "My lady," he said with an over exaggerated bow and a teasing grin.

"Why thank you, my kind sir," I said with a laugh and a curtsy before Hale climbed out behind me and punched his brother's shoulder playfully.

Then Hale looped my arm through his and with a smile that made my heart flutter said, "This way my lady, let me escort you inside."

As we ascended the back porch steps I heard Jeremy's voice reach my ears, "Look at the gentleman helping her inside, meanwhile the real men get stuck with all the baggage!"

I stopped and looked over my shoulder and said, "It's not my fault that you encouraged me to by half of the mall!"

Arron smirked while the rest of the boys clutched their bellies in laughter, pointing at Jeremy who grumbled beneath his breath.

Hale opened the door for me and I automatically found the couch and fell down, exhausted, feet still on fire from walking around the mall all day long. It felt comforting to be back at the Carriway's cabin, it felt like I belonged there, it almost felt like home.

"Dez you look worn out," Hale said with his arms crossed, head cocked to the side, and a both concerned and playful look on his face.

"It's because I am! I don't think I've spent that much time ever walking around in one building for that long! It seemed like the guys would never run out of stuff for me to try on!"

"They picked stuff out for you?" he asked with a raise of an eyebrow.

"They kept it PG," I said with a chuckle. But then I remembered the little black dress that I had found and I chose not to tell Hale about.

Ethan walked in the back door with a grocery bag on his arm followed by the troupe of bag boys. "Take it upstairs to the bonus room," Ethan instructed. "I assume Destiny that you would rather sleep in a bed than a couch. I had Levi prepare the room for you while we were gone."

My head reeled at the thought of having a bed to call my own, a room even. It felt so weird staying in one place for once, but it felt like I belonged. "Thank you so much Ethan," I said.

"It's the least I can do," he said setting down the bag down on the table. "So are you against lasagna?"

"No actually," I said standing up, "do you mind if I help?"

"Not at all, Hale?" Ethan said.

Hale walked up behind me, putting his hand on my waist and pulling me over to the counter top. He reached up in a cabinet and pulled out a giant cooking pot, placing it in front of me.

"Uh Hale I've never actually had to cook before," I said a little embarrassed.

He came back with two packages of noodles in his hand, and his eyes full of laughter, "Don't worry Dez, I'm a great cook. But you're lucky because it doesn't take much to boil water," he finished placing the pot in the sink and turning on the water.