Chapter 20: Control

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

This gave me goosebumps. Like I was Elizabeth in this situation. Oh my gosh tingles to the max!

Elizabeth's POV

When I regained consciousness, my eyes got blinded at the brightness of the room. As my eyes adjusted at the blurry surroundings, I then realized that I was in my room. The clock on my bedside table read '11:00 PM'. Did I slept through the rest of the time during the funeral? I do remember blacking out. Touching my forehead, I was indeed right. I did have a short fever. I think it's because of the stress this last few days including getting soaked under the rain.

I was too lazy to get up so I went back to sleep. Throughout my sleeping session, a huge part of me wished that when I woke up moments ago, everything that had happened was all just a dream. But it wasn't. It was real and painful. Silently, I buried my face into the pillow and cried myself to sleep again.

*****

Morning.....

Walking down the hallway, everything was silent. The atmosphere in the mansion changed. I never knew that this is how everything will change when somebody passes away. I hate the silence. It was mocking me. My feet kept on walking till I arrived at Veronica's room. I knocked once, twice and thrice yet nobody answered. Maybe she is still asleep. I don't blame her. Yesterday took a lot of our energy away.

So I proceeded to the dining hall. Father was already there eating while signing papers. "Good morning Father." I greeted him.
"Good morning Elizabeth." The way he greeted me sounded plain. Like there was no life in it. I didn't let it bother me because I know what he is going through. We all feel depressed. Breakfast wasn't the same without Margarett in it. Silence filled the room, Father made no effort to even talk to me, i in return didn't talk with him either.

As we kept on eating in silence, I grew annoyed. It's past breakfast time and Veronica hasn't come down yet. "Father, shall I go wake up Veronica?" I made an excuse.
"she didn't tell you?" I stopped on tracks.
"huh? Tell me what?"
"after the funeral, Veronica immediately packed her bags and left to go back to school." He answered.

I heard my heart crack. "no.....she wouldn't just do that!..." I started to shake in disbelief. I ran to her room as fast as I can. Once I got there, Veronica's closet was empty. No sign of her anywhere. She was gone. Back to school....back to America...without even saying goodbye.

I went back to the dining room but Father wasn't there anymore so I ran up the staircase leading to his private office. Without any manners, I slammed open the door hard.
"w..why did she leave?!" my eyes were getting teary. Father sighed.
"Veronica wanted to go back. She has already missed out on some of her classes. The flight to America will take around 16 hours above. So booking the plane early will beat the time." Still, he answered as if it didn't matter. It did to me.

"why didn't you stop her father?..why huh?" I wished he could have talked some senses into her.
"Like I said before Elizabeth, Veronica has missed too much of her school time. So she left." He said again. Then I got an idea.
"what about Lancelot? He already got Margarett, who knows? He might go after Veronica next." I needed him to see that keeping distances are gonna tear us apart much farther.
"I had Grimm hired as Veronica's bodyguard until she graduates." (GRIAMORE)
"But.....but..she didn't even say goodbye....." I whispered. My voice was breaking.
"you tell her that Elizabeth. I have work to do." I couldn't believe it. Father just brushed me off like I was just a single strand of hair on the table.

I didn't bother arguing about his lack of care so I just ran out the door. Immediately, I tried calling Veronica on her phone but no answer. I kept on messaging her on facebook, but she still wasn't online. I kept waiting till the green light turns on her skype account. Nothing. I have no way too reach her. Maybe she can't communicate with me too. I'll consider the excuse of passing the ocean. There is no signal in the middle of the ocean. 16 hours is a long drive. So I'll just have to wait.

NNT: A Facade Love For MeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara