Chapter Three-The Plan

When I walk through the front door of my house with my dad, my mom rushes to the door with a smile.

"So how'd it go?!" she asks.

I put the rose behind my back so she can't see the color.

"Eh, ok." I respond walking toward the kitchen.

Apparently, I didn't move quick enough because my mom plucked the rose from my hand and held it up.

The black rose didn't shine in the light, it just seemed dead just like I'll be.

My mom drops the rose and starts to cry.

Oh my god, I feel horrible.

She just stands there in her own world, breaking down.

My dad rushes forward and hugs her.

"Kay, could you go in your room for just a little bit?" my dad asks.

Well it wasn't really a question, more like a command.

"Sure." I say and walk to my room.

Shutting the door, I lean against the door.

My last few moments left on Earth and I'm in my room.

I can hear my mom's sobs. I've never tried it before, but I decide to listen in. I put my ear against the wood and listen to what they're saying.

"I can't believe we're going to lose her too! Just like Mason!" my mom cries.

"Shhh. Honey, we predicted this. You know just as good as me that she had a slim chance anyway. I'm just as heart broken, but there isn't anything we can do." my dad says with hurt in his words.

"Yes, there is."

"There is?"

"Don't play stupid with me. The Remedy. We can send her there. You of all people because of your job should know that we should have thought of this sooner."

"And how do you expect her to get there?! She'll either die or get caught. Should I name all the horrible things they'll do to her?"

I can't take it anymore, faster than I wanted, I fling my door open.

My parents stare at me shocked. They probably are shocked by my outburst.

"I want to live, I'll go to this Remedy. A boy whispered something about it too me today at the ceremony." I say once I'm in front of my parents.

Both of my parents just stare at me wide eyed.

"He must have been a spy." my  father says slowly.

"The boy must know something." my mom says.

The two of them continue to mumble to themselves to the point that I can't make out what they're mumbling.

"Hello? We were kind of having a conversation here." I say impatiently.

Both of the two of them turn to look at me.

"Sorry." they both comment at the same time.

"We can talk about it at our last dinner." says my mom.

I just stand there. Slowly, I just nod.

What else is there to say? It's not like I'm going to die in less than a day or anything. 

A long two minutes of silence passes between the three of us.

My mom just silently walks over to me and kisses me on the forehead. She walks to her room and shuts the door.