Chapter One- Discussing Matters

"Mom?" I ask creeping into the kitchen.

"Yes?" I hear her small voice call.

"Can I talk to you about how we live? It's for school." I say.

To be honest, I'm just curious to know about why we live in this violent, unfair society.

"Um, sure. We can discuss this in your room." my mom says.

Before I can answer, she has her hand on the small part on my back guiding me toward my room.

My room isn't too much, just a bed, desk, dresser and a few certificates on my wall from school. It's pretty common for a living space in the place where I live.

My  name is Kaytilynn and I live in a place called "The Theory". I live with my mom and dad. Dad never comes home too often since he works with the government, unless it's a holiday. Thankfully, I have my mom who is always at home. This is pretty much just the common life here. Everything is like childhood is suppose to be, until you turn 18. I've heard awful things about what happens to people who turn eighteen, but I'm still totally confused. I know you die and that you can either be chosen to be shot in front of every person who lives in "The Theory" watching or have your parents shoot you instead. Obviously, just to make sure that they carry out with the death, I know that the parents take you to the government and have you locked in a black room (expired room) with just one light that's on you and your parents. One of your parents holds the gun and well, you die. Sounds pretty gruesome, but that's how life is in "The Theory" , unfair and violent.

You may ask yourself now, "How do you have anyone left to live?"

That's the part I'm not totally sure about. I know that there is a choosing room somewhere in the government.

Did I mention there are over 1,000 rooms in the government?

My mom goes over to my bed and sits down.

She pats a spot on my bed for me to sit.

"What was your question?" my mom asks in a quiet voice.

"Why do we still have people who are still living if the government kills everyone?" I ask.

"Sweetie," my mom starts. Her voice is nervous like something is going to pop out of thin air. "Don't insult the government, they control us and we can't do anything about that. To answer your question, the government has one room called 'the Selection'. In there all eighteen year old's are rounded up and only 25 boys and girls are picked to help carry out in society. The others, well you know what happens to them."

I let everything settle in my mind.

I'm 17, and in just a couple weeks I'll be 18. I'll be taken to the government and hope to be chosen out of the hundreds of other 18 year old's. Such a slim chance I live.

Fear is pulsing through my veins now.

"Am I going to die?" I ask my mom.

"Oh, I don't know honey. Just remember that since your father works with the government maybe he'll have some say in the children picked this year." my mom says with a little confidence.

She doesn't fool me though.

I could just picture how she must feel knowing that in just a couple weeks, her daughter was about to probably die. Her fear is probably at a higher level than mine because she's already been through this process.

About two years ago, my brother Mason turned eighteen. He wasn't chosen in the choosing room and he died. He choose to die in front of everyone's eyes in "The Theory".

"I want everyone to see how messed up this society is that we call home." Mason had said to me.

Those were his last words to me.

Even though it's been quite a while since then. his image is burned into my memory. Those last words happen to stick with me too.

"Maybe." I say.

"Well, I'll be going now. I have to go to the store and grab some food." says my mom as she rises from my bed.

"Okay, see you later mom." I say.

She gives me a small smile and walks out of my room shutting the door behind her.

Alone, I sit in silence.

Once I hear the front door shut, I jump up and go over to my dresser.

Slowly, I open the fifth drawer and pull out a purple velvet box.

When I open it I smile.

Inside is a charm bracelet from my dad. It was an old Christmas present, but I never wear it so it looks brand new. 

There's a thick silver chain with three charms.

The first one if from my dad when he bought it for me. A diamond with a small gold circle around the outside. It's pretty basic. but I love it. The diamond marks me as a relation to the government, since the diamond is the main symbol for government. Supposedly, it's suppose to represent purity, but the government is far from being pure.

The next charm is a plain silver heart from my mom. It's just a basic 3-D heart with a sliver tarnish. She'd given this to me a while ago, before it was illegal to own personal property that wasn't a "necessity".

I remember telling her that I  threw it away, but I just kept it hidden. I couldn't bear to throw it away.

The last charm was my last gift from my brother. It was a silver rectangle with just one word on it with bold.

He told me that if I kept his present I would be one, since I'm living in my own way by not listening to anyone.

Rebel.