He and Alexis

“But Darrius and Azealia don’t have to be the only winners,” Mama announced before all of the students after we met up back in the main area. They all envied the jewelry we got, especially my pearl necklace. “Just for even bothering to look, you all deserve a treat! Come outside at eight o’ clock tonight for a beach party!”

Ezekiel cheered from behind me. Although a beach party may have been what we all needed—some fun, something to relax us—I couldn’t go. My knees were still weak from the scare I’d gotten upstairs in ‘her’ room, as my mother put it. All I needed was to relax; maybe, if I was lucky, take a nap.

“You guys should go ahead, but I’m not coming.” I told them. “I need to rest.”

“Oh, come on! Don’t be a pooper.” Ezekiel teased.

“I’m not pooping! You can go on.”

“This is only okay if you help us get our outfits together.” Milan warned.

“It’s a deal.”

We stood and talked for a little while longer, the rest of them asking Darrius and I about the room and how we found our prizes. Darrius didn’t hesitate to tell them of the strange events that took place up there, but I wasn’t exactly sure I wanted to tell them. Just the air of the room gave me goose bumps, made me feel like there was something else there that wanted me out. Why else would the dolls fall? Was there someone else inside? If so, they would have revealed themselves as soon as we walked in.

But the door did open significantly wide when we first got inside, as if someone pulled it out for us.

I couldn’t think that way; it would only lead me to going back to that room to look for something else. And when I did that, I’d need Darrius with me. But he would be at the party and going without him was just a bad idea.

“You are going to the party, right?” I asked him suddenly.

“Only if you want me to. I have no problem staying with you, really.” He offered.

“No, no. You should go. I don’t mind.”

“You have to.” Ezekiel said matter-of-factly.

“Yeah, whatever. Just come upstairs Azealia, will you? We need to figure out these outfits early on!” Milan tugged me. I followed her slowly up the stairs, still looking behind me. Not at Darrius, but at the sudden course of events the main area was taking: everyone was walking up to each other, laughing and holding little conversations. It was then that I realized that they were asking for dates to the beach party.

“Milan, are you going to the party with Ezekiel as your date?”

She blushed and looked away, but didn’t answer.

“You should.” I smiled. Now that I had the time to get used to seeing them together, or at least beginning to be together, I realized that they were destined to pair up sometime. There was always a faint connection between them went they weren’t fighting. And even when they were, that still showed that they liked each other. Again I grinned. It felt good to be happy for someone.

                                                         * * *

“That shade of lipstick is perfect, I’m telling you.” Destiny said to Milan, referring to a nude colored lipstick that we both recommended.

She perked her lips in the mirror and fixed a few stray strands of hair with her hands. Milan’s skin was radiant tonight, which wasn’t surprising since she’d been glowing ever since we came back. Her cherry-colored hair was wavy and covered a bit of her face elegantly, and she wore a loose frilly top and jeans. Thanks to Destiny and I, she looked perfect.