Part 3

Upon entering, the couple was met with a quite plain living space with its white walls and brown carpet they were evidently appalled. Before any could comment on the disheartening decorum that was displayed in their current residence, an aged wrinkly woman stumbled in. The stench of booze filled the mundane room and every time the woman would obtrusively speak, the smell intensified. However, the siblings showed the utmost civility and greeted her with "Why hello dear aunt my name is Hansel and he is Gretel. I would just like to begin to express my most earnest approbation for your letting us inhabit your." Taking a moment to ponder a cordial characteristic she continued, "Distinctly designed home."

The mistress finished her drink and answer roughly with "Yah, nice to meet you too. Do you cook?"

Hansel took a moment to process the question and asked, "Excuse me?"

"I said, do you cook or are you one of those feminist girls I hear so much about who think themselves better than other accommodating women." Said the old woman with a distressing look that frightened Hansel immensely. Though of this, she continued to smile and object to all the old woman's worries. Always making certain to say "Yes ma'am" or "No ma'am you are much mistaken," and after a couple minutes of this trifling cycle, the old lady showed the children to their room.

"This is where you will be sleeping make sure to make your bed and clean it just in case the social worker comes by." The two entered the room and at that moment, the idea of a pleasurable stay was abolished. For they could tell that they were not the first unlucky children to stay in the old woman's penitentiary. This was made clear by the collogue of stains that surrounded the room and by the small insects that climb on the furniture trying to reach the open candy bars which were stuck to the tables; as if they represented all the unfortunate souls that inhabited this cell before them, each one struggling to climb its way to freedom with no hope of advancement.

When the woman left the room, the two children stared at one another with a mixture of discomfort and heartache that both knew to be hopelessness in its darkest form. Hansel quickly comforted her brother by instantly removing her coat and giving it to Gretel. He was well aware of what she was suggesting considering when their parents were having an expressive conversation his sister always made sure he muffled his cries with a clean pillow. However, Hansel found the pillows in their current residence far from adequate for the urgent task.

When the old woman beckoned the siblings to dinner, Gretel was compelled to mask his sorrow with modesty and because of this his sister was relied on to lead the conversation. At entering the kitchen, the couple was amazed by the vividness of the room. Its decor did not resemble the whole of the house in any manner and when asked about it the mistress replied, "It's only a slight variation from the original design." Hansel was not content with her answer for this room was utterly eccentric and it was as if they were in a miniature candy land. Every treat one could think of was displayed on the walls, each one unique in color, patterning, and size. The party sat at the circular swirl of what was classified as a dining table.

Anytime he was asked a question Gretel smiled and directed her attention to his sister, and being the hospitable young lady she was, Hansel accepted such maneuverings with as much eagerness as she could muster in the current situation. After talk of family values and life in New York was expended, the mistress took this moment to explain to the children the house expectations. "My rules are simple. Rule one, you must be home by seven and if you leave the house, you must tell me. Rule two, if you see a car with the letters CPS on the side of it you must make sure your room is extremely tidy. The final rule is if a man comes and asked you how you're enjoying your" Stopping herself from saying the wrong thing she took a sip of her unknown drink and continued with "Just tell the man you have enjoyed your time here"

After she finished informing the children of these "most serious" regulations, the fruitless conversation continued with Hansel answering all the woman's obstinate questions precisely and with no sign of any counter inquiries the children were excused from the table after eating a few pieces of the government bought meat loaf that was present on the table. When they reached their room, Hansel told Gretel a story about two children who were abandoned in the forest by their parents and came across a house made of candy. She proceeded this until Gretel confessed that he did not wish to know what came of the poor children because it would be too frightening to him. Respecting his wishes, she placed the book under the bed trying her hardest not to get anything stuck to it. That night was a restless one for the feelings she endured were dreadfully similar to the ones she felt that sorrowful night in New York City.