Part 1

The New York City lights glimmered into the two-bedroom apartment in which an low income family sorrowfully inhabited. Two tiresome children were restlessly attempting to sleep but were prevented to do so by the blatant sound of their parent's bickering. Such an altercation was caused by the loss of the father's unsatisfying occupation. For because of this, the family quickly became unable to sustain its sprightly demeanor toward one another and life in general. The two siblings trembled in their archaic, blue waterbeds the liquid rapidly slushing parallel with the children's shakes. They listened attentively to the couple's quite intense quarrel.

"Why aren't you in the city searching for a job?" asked the stepmother "I slave in the kitchen cooking your dinners, washing your clothes, and cleaning the dishes you pile."

The father took a moment to finish drinking his beer before answering with "I spent the entirety of the day looking for one but with no success. No one is hiring someone with my specific attributes my dear."

With a sarcastic tone, she replied, "I am astonished to believe a sensible businessman would not hire a father who is capable of watching hours of television without refraining. How such a man is able to go without your attributes and still be able to stay afloat is beyond my comprehension."

Standing up from the unsightly couch, he suddenly threw the remote at the wall to his right and yelled, "I have supported you and my children for eight long years. Ever since we were wedded I have given you complete access to my love and bank account alike, and for you to suggest that I do not put all my efforts into the happiness of this family is simply prejudice. I mean how would you know what my days consist of for all you do is sleep and order my children around, but do not mistaken me I am aware of your kitchen duties for when I arrive home you suddenly become an accommodating wife."

Attempting to mask her fear and embarrassment from her husband she sat. It was true that when their father arrived home the children's stepmother became drastically more bearable. However, prior to this, she was considerably nasty to them and contrary to her persistent assurances when chores were to be done or meals were to be cooked it was not she who completed it for such things were executed by Hansel and Gretel.

The two children were always loved by their father for he had raised them alone for a third of their lives after their mother's unexpected death. He remarried four years after this tragic event with the mentality of convenience rather than compassion. Nevertheless, the couple expressed no resentment towards one another or the public till now. The husband was not a frequently tempered man, but when under the influence such tempers seemed to escape from his well-guarded prison of animosity. In past arguments, these hostilities were simply passive aggressive at most and were ceased by common decency before any real vexations could be expressed. After realizing his failure to catch these enmities, he decided to remain silent as well.

When an exceedingly long amount of time had passed, the stepmother with no hesitation or lack of assurance for what she was about to proclaim said, "We must give Hansel and Gretel up for adoption." At that moment, her husband had dropped his beer onto the already heavily stained carpet. Disbelief had rushed through his body. For her to say such a thing shocked him to the point of submission. All his hopes and desires had spilled all over the soaking floor. He had to reject to such a horrendous proclamation but at last, he could not. While he would miss them with an amount of grief that only a father could understand the well-being of Hansel and Gretel would only be certain if they were in a stable environment. Considering all of the affection and love, he held for his children it surprised not only his wife but also his children, who were still listening to their tense conversation, greatly, and after further discussion the decision was made and a date set. March 2 would be the date of their departure. Therefore, with a faint smile and compassionate hug, Hansel said in a somber tone, "My dear Gretel you must sleep now everything will be better in the morning I promise."