Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

           The next morning, a golden ray of light streaming in through the curtains woke me. I looked to my side, and noticed Lacey still fast asleep. I slid out of bed and sauntered into the kitchen to put on a pot of coffee. The clock on the oven told me it was only 9 in the morning. I put a teaspoon of milk in my dark coffee and took a sip from the red mug. The apartment looked dark and dirty; so I opened all of the curtains and let the fresh daylight pour in through the windows. I heard Lacey’s moan that she always made in the mornings when she didn’t want to get up from the bedroom.

“Wakey wakey!” I called. She tottered out of the room and over to the coffee pot.

“Morning sunshine,” I sang, taking a sip from my mug. She had mascara clouded around her eyes and marks from the sheets on her cheek. She drank her coffee black and sipped it from a white mug with “World’s Best Grandma” printed in big letters on the front. She had a phase when she was 15 where she stole a bunch of random items from her grandparents. They knew about it of course, they just wanted to let her have the feeling that she was a rebel.

“I’m going to go get ready.” She said setting her mug down.

“For what?” I asked.

“To go get your shit from your house.” I set down my mug and followed her into the bedroom. I threw my hair into a high ponytail and slipped on my shorts from yesterday.

           “Here, wear this.” Said Lacey tossing me a white oversized sweater. I pulled it over my head and slid my feet into my combat boots. Lacey stepped right next to me and coated both of us in her fruity perfume. Lacey slid on a loose fitting white dress and vans while lighting herself a cigarette.

           We strolled out of the building and to Lacey’s car and climbed in calmly. We acted like everything was fine, but I know that we were both nervous to try to sneak my stuff form my dad’s house.

***

           We arrived at the small, run down house in the middle of a dirty suburb and watched it, pondering how we would go about retrieving my things.

           “Alright, game plan time. I say you sneak into your window, and hand out your stuff to me and just try to be as quiet as possible I guess.” Said Lacey before taking a swig of whiskey from a “day of the dead” flask she kept in her glove box.

           “It’s worth a shot I guess.” I said grabbing a cigarette from Lacey’s back pocket. I lit my cigarette and we both quietly strolled around to the back of the one level house, where my window was located.

           “You ready?” asked Lacey. I nodded as I silently slid the window up and put one leg in. I acrobatically slid in the window and looked around, wondering what I needed to bring. I tiptoed over to my closet, grabbed a duffel bag and started cramming it with clothes. After stuffing all of my clothes inside I zipped it closed and threw it out to Lacey. I grabbed a large backpack and filled it with all of my jewelry and shoes, then handed it to her. I wondered if there was anything absolutely necessary to bring with me. I put the strap of my camera around my neck and the strap of my guitar on my shoulders and began to climb out the window.

           I had left my door locked before I left, but I suppose I was not quiet enough because my head whipped around when I heard a loud kick on the door. I knew it was my dad. He kicked again, this time knocking the door down and breaking the lock. Rage filled his unshaven face when he saw me. He began to come after me, screaming and calling me a whore and to “get the fuck back in this house before I beat your ass”. I scurried out the window, as Lacey struggled to pull me out. Once I was out, I threw my lit cigarette in my dad’s face and waved with one hand while flipping him off with the other. Lacey and I ran to the car and shoved everything in the back as fast as we could, laughing over the thrill. Secretly I was petrified.