"Caden, I'm so glad you picked up."

I almost didn't answer the phone. "What can I help you with?"

"I wanted to ask, do you remember Dr. Jim Wilcox? He's a general surgeon at Columbia Hospital and he attended your father's birthday party a few months ago?"

I shake my head, of course, I don't remember. There were over 100 people at that party. I couldn't remember half the people that attended, let alone one individual person. "Sorry, mom I don't recall a Dr. Wilcox."

"Well that's alright if you don't remember," she replies. I can hear the television and the soft sound of the ceiling fan in the background. "What's important is he has a daughter named Olivia, and I got a chance to see a picture of her. She is gorgeous and looks like a fine lady. Anyways, I-"

"Let me guess," I say interrupting her, "You want me to go on a blind date with her."

"Oh Caden, you know your mother too well," she cries, squealing through the phone. "And yes, I want you to go on a blind date with this lovely girl. She is stunning and beautiful. I have also heard great things about her from her father; she seems like such a lovely gal. I was able to set up a date this Wednesday at 6 pm at the Halladale Café on 18th street."

I groan loudly hitting the palm of my hand on my forehead, "Mom, do I really need to go on these unnecessary blind dates? Also, aren't you on vacation right now with dad? How do you have time to set up these dates for me? Shouldn't you be enjoying your time at the beach instead?"

"Nonsense, I always have time for my babies. Also, these dates are not unnecessary, I only want what's best for you."

"But mother, I'm a grown man. I don't need your help to find me -"

"No buts," Mother cuts in, "Not until you can show me that you're truly dedicated to one girl. Also, make sure you go on time."

Feeling completely defeated I nod to myself. "Fine, but I'll only meet this girl on one condition."

After a long pause, she finally murmurs, "What condition?"

"That you limit these blind dates to once a month only. I can't stand doing this every week. You already know how busy I am with my projects."

A brief silence stretches between us before she finally agrees. "Alright, but you better make sure you're on your best behavior. I don't want a repeat of last time."

"Fine, I promise."

"Alright then honey, I better get going now. Love you."

"Love you too," I respond quietly. With a heavy sigh, I set the phone face down but not before I bang my head against the table; mothers can definitely make a guy go crazy.

*****

I glance at the clock and panic, I can't believe it is already 5:20 pm. If I don't leave soon I'm going to be late for my date again.

I scan over my completed design, satisfied with my work. I'm not sure how many hours of sleep I've lost these last few days, but I do know one thing, every minute of sleep I lost was worth it. I always felt a sense of calmness and happiness after I finish a project, and that's how I felt this very moment. Now all that's left is to present the model to the client.

Thankfully, I am able to finish it before the due date tomorrow morning. I was hoping to use the rest of today to recover after I met with my secretary but thanks to this blind date my wish is unlikely to come true.

With a light grunt, I get up from my desk and head straight into the bathroom. It takes all the strength I had to not look at my comfortable bed, one look and I know I would never make it to my blind date. Plus, there was no way I could not go, I did promise my mother after all.