CROSSED - Chapter 13 (Part 2 of 2)

Lana Fier paced around her new surroundings thinking about what could have happened that brought her here. Maxwell had messed up! Maybe Max had thought Bette was Lana because he forgot to look for the present murderer and instead still had the image of Lana from five years earlier.

He'd let his rage and anger in his search for vengeance on the sixteen year old girl who'd killed Mickal cloud his judgment and reasoning. For that, Lana was grateful. He was still looking for that sixteen year old rather than the woman she now was. Lana smiled to herself and then at the reflection in the mirror.

She pulled the dark hair back from her face. She did bear a slight resemblance to Bette but aside from the same birthday, Bette being the age Lana was when it happened, and the same high school Lana didn't see much else they had in common.

She laughed. "He probably let his temper cloud his judgment, just like Mickal had," she thought. I wanted to slap the silly smile off her lips and send her back myself.

Lana's reflection in the mirror was still foreign as she let herself wonder about the dreams she'd had a few weeks before. Dreams that had scared her awake, sweating, near tears, and sometimes crying out for help.

They'd woken up Susan too and had her dorm-mate Kathy running into the room, on more than one occasion. Maybe Maxwell had hit the right wavelength then lost it. Surely he had to know what he'd done. The mistake was too big. If he didn't know, then Bette Locke could deal with him and she'd be free.

Lana tried to push it out of her mind. She didn't want to think about him or why she was there anymore. It wasn't her problem as long as she kept Bette away. She hoped Maxwell found Bette in the body she'd occupied for twenty-one years; and made it permanent.

It never should've been her problem anyway. She'd never asked for the life she'd been dished out. But that nosey brother Maxwell had to go probing into everyone's business.

She thought about Mickal. Would she have said yes if she were older? She knew she would only be lying to herself if she even tried to think the answer might be yes. Each time she saw that future she saw her own parents' miserable disastrous lives. Never would that be her. Mickal wouldn't have made her or anyone a good husband.

Between his temper and mean streak he would've hurt whoever he was with either physically or emotionally. She comforted herself with the notion that she most likely had done the world a favor. Saved some woman down the road from whatever damage and destruction would've come from out one of his tantrums.

She'd seen firsthand that day by the lake, what his fury looked and felt like. She shivered for just a moment but quickly pushed it aside. That was a long time ago. She'd moved on and was doing fine.

And now with this brand new second chance at a good life, she was doing even better. She would do it the same way if she ever had to go back. After the initial shock had worn off years before, there had never been any regret.

*******************

Please vote, share, recommend, and comment. Thanks!

Author A. Bernette online: www.Bernette.net