CROSSED - Chapter 18

Introducing Cayla -the Angel

This assignment means more work is required. A great deal more work. I'm pissed and have little patience for it right now. And I hate having my hands tied until they decide it's okay for me to act.

Maxwell almost blew it. He'd gotten lost in the act of seeking vengeance and overused his powers, almost causing an innocent to be harmed.

I'm glad Lana has been brought to justice, but his single-minded, dogged determination in first balancing the act that took his brother was neither balanced nor just.

He'd seen what happened that day, yet refused to see his brothers' role in it. Just like he refuses to see how losing control of his faculties causes him to lose control of his power. It makes him a liability. If he is to be the yang to my yin, a great deal of work has to be done.

Existing in the shadows, I dance an endless and lonely waltz between heaven and earth. I am quite accustomed to being outside of myself, as someone else. I have walked in the lives of others, for an hour, a week, even longer.

I watch now and smirk as Bette Locke is able to resume her life. He'd forced me to step in and save her because he was too stubborn to or unable. I am not quite sure which one yet. I'll find out though when we debrief.

Unlike my sister, I am assigned the more difficult side of karma. I don't get to dole out blessings and good fortune. All the stuff people go thanking God for. Instead I am charged with correcting and balancing the wrongs committed – in thought and action.

And then people want to call me a b%^*h or the devil. Either way, they bring it on themselves. They can call it whatever they want but it's all the same force.

There is a cost that comes with the power I hold. I am stuck between lower heaven and the base of earth's humanity. I see the dark and grimy side of humans. I am so close to it, covered in the energetic muck that I can only ascend so high before being stopped because of the darkness that seems to constantly surround me. It isn't fair.

What did I do to deserve this twisted fate? I am an administrator of justice and yet my own existence at times feels unjust. But I have my duty and my honor. I answer to a higher power and there are synchronicities to coordinate.

When Raguel assigned Maxwell to me, it was with special status as a hybrid human. His father was a mortal. Very mortal and his mother had been like me. Mickal shared the same father but his mother was of Earth as well. I suppose his being a hybrid is why Raguel thought he would fit this role well, being able to walk in both worlds. But there seems to be more of his father in him than his mother.

I hear Raguel's argument and I do see that he's proven himself strong, focused, and committed to the long process of administering justice. I also see his temper, irrationality, addictive personality, and stubbornness. But he has tenacity and sometimes it can take years for plans to line up and for karma to be balanced.

In the meantime, only heaven can take him out. Neither of us is subject to the regular forces of humanity's physical laws. But neither of us can escape the laws that order the universe, whether we like it or not.

The café close to the University downtown is one of my favorite coffee spots. The people coming and going include all types – a microcosm of humanity in a city that gives me plenty to stay busy. The lattes are always perfectly steamed without scalding my tongue. And the baristas actually smile. I'll enjoy one while I think about the other smaller assignments on my plate.

I know Raguel will be coming soon with another assignment for me to fit in and to continue the training with Maxwell. It seems there is always work to be done. The next round won't be like this one. Maxwell will watch and learn as I handle the next assignment.

Maxwell, yes Maxwell. I suppose I should go get him and bring him back here with me. He forgets I have the power to dial back his abilities and right now he's stuck. Waiting in the police precinct should help sober him up. He needs a little dose of karma himself.

I laugh, almost losing my mouthful of coffee. He's six and half feet tall, but I can bring him to his knees. On second thought, maybe I'll just let him sweat it out for a while longer.

*****************
Consider leaving a review on Amazon.com so others can discover this great story. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOAN7AW

Please check out my new long short story Out of the Woods here: http://my.w.tt/UiNb/OmObuzTY9t. Chapters will be opened for reading and voting 7/14 for the #OnceUponATime Target contest. Only votes on 1st chapter count for contest, but vote on all if you love them.

Please vote, share, recommend, and comment.

For more from A. Bernette visit my Wattpad profile of bernewrites or my website www.Bernette.net.