CROSSED - Chapter 3

If you like what you read, please take a moment and click the little vote button (star) in the bottom left corner of your screen. Also feel free to share and recommend.

********

Hand in hand their fingers entwined, the two ambled without care through the lush trees and green bushes. They picked the blueberries along the way and wildflowers now adorned Lana's thick brown hair with sun-kissed amber highlights. She'd straightened it for Mickal. Mickal had picked each flower himself and carefully placed them just over her ear.

One yellow for hope.

One white for innocence.

One red for love.

Lana blushed, her smooth clear cheeks suddenly showing pink, when he'd put each in her hair. As he'd come across the right colors he then told her why he picked each one. Lana wished the moment could be paused, and the perfection in it captured. She was sure her own parents didn't have memories like this.

As they continued their carefree walk, they stopped to touch the different trees and foliage. They would pause so that the crackling of their feet against the woods droppings on the ground wouldn't disturb the songs of the birds that made their home there. Lana thought about how loudly the birds chirped as they cried out to each other in warning. And they talked about their love for each other.

The blue sky with swirled cirrus clouds dotting the heavens above their head was the perfect backdrop as the sun's rays splattered through the leaves. Their rolled jeans were dusty at the hems like their bare feet from the dirt path worn down but now abandoned. It was almost September and school would be starting again for both of them, driving a wedge again between their love as they were forced to part.

Lana would be a junior in high school and Mickal was starting his sophomore year of college. Mickal had missed Lana terribly last year when they were forced to only see each other during the few breaks they had.

He'd even played with the idea of transferring back to a school closer to her so they could really be together. She, instead, had insisted that he finish up where he was.

After their lazy walk through the woods the trees pulled back and opened up to the beautiful park-like setting by the water. They'd reached their destination. It was a mostly forgotten man-made lake by the woods. The brush was overgrown and Lana guessed someone only came out two or three times in a year to tend to the area but that didn't matter. To her it was beautiful, peaceful, their special and secret place.

Flowers, flowers by the lake

Pick them. Let us know our fate

Hold me, never let me go

Flowers, flowers. Where'd they go?

Lana and Mickal sang their short song with arms wrapped around each other as they looked into one another's eyes. Lana couldn't believe she'd landed Mickal. That he'd actually fallen for her. She'd never meant for it to go this far but it had. They'd literally bumped into each other at a movie and he'd accidentally spilled half of her popcorn on himself, on her, and on the floor.

She wanted to be mad but then she looked up at him and his smile. She saw that dimple just to the right of his lips, those soul stirring crystal blue eyes, and his all-around good looks and the only thing she felt was mesmerized.

She wasn't supposed to be with anyone like him. Not according to her parents. He was everything she wasn't and everything her parents didn't want for her. But she didn't care.

She was sixteen and he loved her. He might have been the first person to ever real love her, to be willing to give it all for her. Do anything for her. She knew he would. She'd tested him and he'd passed. She'd managed to get him to fall in love with her and over time she grew to love him back, in her way.

Robby Bill, RB for short, considered himself as being protective of his daughter and only child. He'd forbidden her to see Mickal again after he realized how serious they were, who his family was, and that he was already in college. No daughter of his would date a boy from a family like his.

The families had history is all her father would say. That was his biggest issue with Mickal and it fueled Lana's pursuit of Mickal even more. Her father wanted more for her even if he couldn't be the one to give it to her. But he didn't want it to come from Mickal's family.

RB was such a hypocrite. Mickal wasn't much different than her father was and now he wanted to act high and mighty and say Mickal wasn't good enough. Lana wasn't stupid. She knew the truth. And her mother, weak and often useless, never defended her.

She'd married RB against her own parents' wishes after finding out she was having his baby. Love child. That's what she was, but there was never much love there. And they never had any more kids, leaving Lana alone to deal with the two of them.

Falling in love with Mickal. It was her out. In these moments with Mickal she could escape from her sad excuse for a life. Mickal had even snuck off secretly, skipping his weekend boat trip with some of his family and friends, just to be with her.

Mickal stepped back, continuing to admire her as he took her hand. He loved her beyond reason and knew that he'd love her for the rest of her life. He didn't care that she was sixteen and he was nineteen. They could get married as long as her parents agreed. It might be a hard sell, but he'd even wait, if he had to.

He took her soft hands in his, admiring the hot pink polish she'd put on just for him. He slowly began moving down, placing one knee in the damp grass by the water.

"Lana Fier, my perfect flower; I have loved you since I met you a year ago today. I will always love you Lana and I hope that you will always love me. Will you make me the happiest man alive and be my wife?"

----------------------

If you like what you are reading, please take a moment and click the little vote button (star) in the bottom left corner of your screen. Also feel free to share and recommend.

The entire book is on Amazon.com ( http://amzn.com/B01DOAN7AW ).

If you enjoy please share so others can discover Crossed as well. Have comments, questions, critique, or feedback? Leave it here so I can respond, learn, and grow. It helps and you'll score some good karma points.