1. silence

On a humid day, I sat resting in an old tree as the alarm to the box went off in the center of the maze. I balanced on the thick branch, watching everyone work off in the distance, and the sky dim. Now all the boys ran towards the dark box, eagerly looking downwards.

I, on the other hand, needed to eat and get back. I made my way to the mess hall, packed a few rations in my bag, quickly slipped out of the back door, and then followed the wall towards the maze. After running in and hauling myself up the wall, vines, and every crevice I could find, I perched my back on a wall atop a great ledge. It got darker as I shifted to get comfortable and pull out something to eat. The big doors began to close, shaking the entire maze.

It was almost like I was finally starting to perfect this routine of mine but truly I had no idea what I was doing or waiting for. I wanted to bring them answers and the timing would have to be perfect. I ate, watching the monsters sit at doors and aimlessly wander around. How could someone create such a thing? A thing that can seem so robotic and yet so alive? A shiver ran down my spine as a shriek echoed through the halls. I squeezed my eyes shut at the thought of them.

The next morning, a thick mist filled the air. I awoke when the doors slid across the stone slabs of its entrance. I couldn't help but wonder what the sun must've felt like, gazing at an empty sky as I hesitated to stand and stretch. After gathering my things, and shaking off the hard sleep, I carefully made my way down the wall. Dodging the path of the runners, I head back towards the forest before the rest got up.

My ability to communicate with them was going to be a big challenge. Ever since one of Wicked's tests, I'd forgotten the sound of my own voice. It'd be impossible to explain in gestures and scribbles. They can't remember anything before the maze. I will be the enemy until I can show them I'm not. In the beginning my only mission was for us to escape before WICKED could do whatever they were planning. Ever since they ripped us from our parents arms, I always knew we were never safe here- that they needed us for a reason. One that wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. I still don't know exactly what it is they want from us- why they've gone to such lengths? Or what hypothesis they could even be testing here? I wanted to know where my friends were disappearing but felt like I couldn't protect everyone. Everything changed though, when they took Thomas.

I had to act and fast. When I escaped I didn't know where to run but I took strange vials, medical supplies, and every bit of my memory. They'd be killing me for answers I couldn't give yet so I just watched them from afar until the time was right.

Awhile after all the runners came back, and deep in the corner of the woods, angry shouts could be heard below me. A boy stood over another. He was yelling, spitting and throwing his hands in the air like he was going to strike the other.

I leaned in, taking a closer look to conclude the boy who was yelling was Ben and the boy taking it was Newt. I didn't know him well but he was one of the first boys to be taken here. Ben however I'd bickered with a time or two and never cared for.  Before the events processed in my mind, I misplaced my elbow and fell from where I sat, a few twigs and leaves crashing down with me.

Both boys immediately snapped their heads in my direction, their conversation going dead silent. Slowly peering over me, with wide white eyes and pale faces, the three of us sat in shock. The silence was almost calming until Ben shook his head in disbelief, turning off to run.

"I- A girl?" Newt had a thick english accent. His eyes stared directly into mine as his chest rose and fell. He was clearly in a state but he didn't seem afraid. I ached from the fall but slowly stood, unable to break his gaze. "Hey, it's alright Greenie," he said, giving a small wave.