Chapter 5: Chapter Six

"Ayo, Erika you need to get your brother." Chad said and she nodded.
"What's happening?" She asked.
"He and Harrison are arguing." He said and her and Kendrick ran towards the group.
...
Time moved slow for her as she walked outside to see Kendrick with blood on his shirt and holding her brother in his arms. She looked around for Storm and he wasn't there. She could hear somebody screaming but didn't know who it was. She ran to her brother and Kendrick moved.
...
Erika sat in her auntie's house listening to the sounds of gunshots in the background. She was trying to reach her aunt for the past few days but couldn't reach her so, today she was moving out anyways. Her eyes watered as she thought of that night. Everything moved slowly when she walked out to see Desean just laying there, bleeding out. She thought of when she went to Kendrick's and she fell asleep with her brother's blood on her. There's no words to describe it for her. It was like shell shock, like PTSD. She got drunk everyday that Kendrick was gone. She stayed in bed the whole time and when she would go to work, she would just sell and drink. She cringed at the thought of going back and just sighed. She wiped her eyes as she heard a knock on the door. She went to unlock the door and was greeted by a couple of police officers.
"Is there a problem?" She asked and one of the cops nodded.
"I'm homicide detective Harp, I'm here to talk to you about your Aunt Jadenese." She nodded and sighed.
"I was just moving out. Did she do something?"
"No, Jadenese was found on Tuesday in a ditch. She was one of our snitches for the case about your brother Desean and we're guessing that one of the gang members found out and-"
"How?"
"I'm sorry?"
"How did she die, Detective Harp?" She questioned and he sighed.
"It's unclear at the moment, she had a rope around her neck but she also had a gunshot to the head so we're not sure which one put her dow-"
"Is she a dog? She didn't get put down she got murdered, it's Sunday and you're just now telling me about my aunt." She said getting angry.
"Please don't get upset with me, I just need you to come down to get her stuff and ID her please. We have the potential suspects in custody, just please work with us." He said and she nodded.
"Give me five minutes, I had one more box to put in the truck and then we can go." She said walking into the bedroom and called Kendrick. Her eyes watered and she broke down right then.
"Hello?"
"What did I do? Why does this keep happening to me? As soon as I get content with life something else happens."
"Babe, what's wrong- did someone get the same color as you at the nail shop cause if tha-"
"Don't fucking patronize me. Someone killed my aunt."
"What?"
"Jadenese, they're taking me to ID her and you're making jokes about my struggles."
"You want me to meet you there sweetheart?" Kendrick asked and she sniffled.
"Yes." She said hanging up.
Police Station
"Erika, I'm so sorry to see you back here." Erin said and Erika nodded.
"Me too."
"Date of birth please."
"February 23, 1970."
"Alright, Jadenese Roberta Jenkins-Love. She had her phone, her wallet with a blunt in it, and a necklace." Erin said and passed it to Erika. Kendrick held on to Erika's hand and walked down to the parking lot with her. Suddenly, Erika stopped, the world spinning faster and faster and she couldn't catch her breath.
"Erika, come on baby." He said grabbing her hand. She didn't move, didn't blink, just stood there. Like she was stuck sitting with Desean again and she was choking on her words. The first movement she made was her hurling onto the sidewalk. She collapsed right next to the puddle and Kendrick looked at her sadly before going to pick her up.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He said and carried her to the car. When she awoke they were at their place and Kendrick was bringing in boxes. She thought about everything again and cried.
"It's my fault. It's all my fault." She cried out and Kendrick ran into the room.
"What?"
"If I wouldn't have broken up with-"
"It's too late for the what if's sweetheart. Why can't you think of something positive?" He asked and she rolled her eyes.
"Everything is so dim, I can't even remember anything good."
"Remember, the first time we... you know. That's a funny story."
June 11, 2005
Kendrick's Room
"Kayla, don't say nothing to mommy." Kendrick said and Kayla laughed. She walked out the room and into their mom's room. Erika smiled at Kendrick as they laid down on the bed. She kissed him and he started tugging at her clothes. They finally got everything off and just as he had slid in her phone rang. She picked it up and looked at it.
"Shaunti, what's up."
"Hey sis, I'm finna come get you. Where you at?"
"I'm at Kendrick's."
"Oh where is he?" She asked and when he heard that he shifted a couple of times and she groaned.
"He's with me." She said slapping his chest.
"Y'all should be finished by the time I get there. I'll park by the window." Shaunti said hanging up. Kendrick kept going and she felt tears welling up in her eyes and he did too. He let a tear fall on her chest as they finished.
"Did I hurt you?" He asked and she shook her head.
"That was the most beautiful thing I've ever felt." She said as they started to pull their clothes back on. Kayla and their mom busted into the room right as they had readjusted and were under the covers.
"You staying the night Erika?" She asked and Erika shook her head.
"No, just waiting for my ride to get here." She said and smiled at Kendrick. Just as she finished her sentence, Shaunti called.
"Girl, I'm here." She said and hung up. Erika stood up and hugged Kendrick goodbye and his mom and sister. She walked to the car and Shaunti smiled.
"Bitchhhhh." She said and they laughed as they pulled off.
Erika woke up in bed with a note off to the side, she grabbed it.
"Hey Erika,
I didn't wanna wake you up. I went to the store so get some food for us.
We need to talk when I get home, all your stuff is unpacked and your clothes are in the right side of the closet.
I love you, K."
She looked around and smiled. She proceeded to get up and get dressed. As the hours passed she got worried about what Kendrick could be doing. She turned on the tv and waited.
Meanwhile, Kendrick walked towards the door of Storm's house. He had made bail and Kendrick was just tired. He knocked on the door and sighed. He heard someone come to the door and then watched it open.
"Who are you man?"
"I'm Kendrick, is Storm here man, I need to talk to him." Kendrick questioned and the guy let him in. Kendrick walked through the hallway readjusting his strap and sat down in front of Storm.
"Kendrick, I haven't seen you since that party. How you been man?" He asks and Kendrick shakes his head.
"I'm still with Erika, she hasn't been the same since you did that. The girl is broken." Kendrick admitted and Storm looked at him.
"So you came here to ease her pain?"
"Nah man, I wanna know what happened. I wanna know why." Storm nodded and cleared his throat.
"Where do I start?"
"You can start by telling me what caused the argument and you can finish off with the why you shot him."
"I'm gonna start with the day me and Erika broke up."
Flashback
After Harrison had gotten a good distance away from Kendrick he called his sister to come get him. For weeks after that he would watch Erika at lunch and her interactions with her friends. He watched as Erika and Kendrick got closer. They only spoke once to each other after the break up.
"Erika, how long are you gonna ignore me?" He asked as she walked to her next class.
"How long are you gonna be in a gang, Harrison?" She asked rhetorically and he shook his head.
"Erika, I joined for us. I joined so I'd be safe, so you'd be safe. I told you it was inevitable, I had t-"
"No, you're not safe. You were safer with no gang affiliation. You're safe with your boys right? What happens when you run into another gang. Now your not safe. Before you joined you could walk right passed them and there would be no issues, you could pass. You should be wanting to reunite your people, not this. Never this." She said and walked faster. He stopped and looked as she joined in a conversation with Kendrick and Shay.
After that the last time he spoke to her was at the party. Kendrick was dancing with Sherane, Storm's cousin. So he approached her. She was dancing on Darius and drinking-laughing with her girls. She was beautiful.
"Erika." He said and she looked at him. Darius touched her waist and she moved so he could get by. Little did Storm know that Darius was going to get Desean.
"Storm, wassup." She said and looked at him with a hate in her eyes.
"Why you gotta treat me like that? We broke up over a year ago. What's the problem?"
"I don't know you anymore, I heard about what you do." Erika said and sat down in a chair,"you didn't listen to me. You broke your promise and here you go doing the same shit that we were trying to avoid, Harrison."
"Erika, you don't know shit. I've been making moves, I'm trying to get out the hood."
"You think you're gonna get out the hood like this? Gang members don't get out the hood, Harrison! You don't get a get out of jail free card." She said and he sighed.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry I lied and I hurt you." He said and she nodded.
"I forgive you, but I can't be around you." She said. He walked away and bumped into Desean and he just kept moving. He turned around to see Erika dancing and talking to Kendrick. He moved through rooms until Drop It Like It's Hot went off and then he bumped into Desean again.
"Nigga, what the fuck is your problem!" Desean screamed and Harrison snapped.
"You keep bumping into me nigga."
"Yo, blood what's your name fam."
"It's Storm you fuck nigga."
"You the one who broke my sister's heart and had her crying and you want her to care about your little puny ass. Nigga you're a bum."
"Ayo, Erika you need to get your brother." Someone off in the distance said.
"Erika broke up with me for nothing."
"You joined a gang and you know she don't roll with that shit. Nigga you ain't shit." Just as he finished saying that Erika and Kendrick pushed passed the group and Harrison was already fired up by then.
"YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT NIGGA, NEITHER DOES ERIKA."
"You tryna say I don't know my sister. Fuck you that's why she's gonna end up with Kendrick and be laughing at yo' bum ass."
"On moms, Blood, S.O.S, on yo punk ass next time I see you, Nigga." Storm said and Erika jumped in front of her brother and Harrison.
"Erik-"
"Storm, stop. Go the hell home. This my brother, you gone shoot my brother really fam?" He looked at the fear in Erika's face, how her voice was shaking, how her forehead wrinkled up like homework thrown sloppily in a backpack. Erika looked at him with that scared look and he looked down in shame that he had hurt her again. Instead of saying anything in the moment, he just nodded.
"Get your brother 'fore he get fucked up." Harrison said and started to walk away.
"Nigga, fuck you." Desean said and Erika pushed him.
"Shut up, Desean!" Erika said and slapped her brother on the side of his head. Harrison, stood on the porch and one of his friends came over and sighed. 
"You're gonna let that bitch treat you like that, Blood?"
"She just ain't some bitch, Piru. She's my first love and I chose to be with y'all for my safety."
"Her brother's a bitch tho. I want you to handle it."
"I can't, I- I can't hurt her like that. Everybody else- fine. Not him."
"Did I ask if you wanted to handle it?" King said and Harrison sighed.
"He walked awa-"
"Handle it or I will." Harrison's eyes widened and he shook his head.
"Okay." He stood up and looked as Kendrick and Desean walked out the house and where talking on the side of the house. King passed him a gun and nodded. Storm stood up and walked to them.
"Nigga don't talk to me." Desean said and Harrison laughed.
"You think I'm here to talk, nigga. You think you know everything and that's what's gonna be the end of you, Blood." Storm said and Kendrick's eyes widened. He tried to tap Desean to tell him to run but Desean was too busy responding.
"The fuck does that mean."  He asked and watched as Storm pulled out his gun swiftly and Kendrick was pulled out of the way by Shay. Storm just started firing until it was empty. Time moved slow for him as he ran away from the crime. The last thing he saw was Kendrick catching Desean and collapsing onto the ground.
"You let a gang come between you and Erika and then you let the same gang influence your actions. The girl has never been the same since then. She's depressed, she wants you in jail, she wants you dead. She wants a lot. A lot of her anger as been taken out on the wrong people and I think it would be helpful if you told her what you told me. I just want you to understand the man you caused. I respect you enough as a man that I'm not gonna let my pain affect the bigger picture." Kendrick said and as he finished his phone rang. He answered and heard Erika on the other line.
"Kendrick, where you at?"
"Visiting old friends, where you at?"
"Um, I'm at the house."
"Are you okay?" He asked and heard her sniffle.
"No, not really. I can't stop thinking about Desean. That night just keeps flashing through my mind. You were with him, what did you see?"
"I'll tell you when I get home babe." He said and she hung up.
"So when do you want me to talk to her?" Harrison asked and Kendrick frowned up.
"Right now. I don't want you to see where we life so I need you to put this blindfold on." Kendrick said and so Harrison agreed.
Home
Kendrick rolled Harrison into the apartment and into the living room. He took the blind fold off and called for Erika.
Erika was in the shower, her eyes dripping like the faucet. She heard Kendrick come in and after he called for her she called for him instead. He came to the bathroom and smiled at her.
"Baby, someone's here for you. I need you to be calm and don't put your hands on them when you see them." Kendrick said and Erika nodded. She turned off the water and put on her clothes. She walked out into the living room and immediately saw Harrison. She looked up at Kendrick and sighed.
"What the f-"
"You needed answers. He's gonna tell you everything he told me. I'm sorry." Erika nodded and sat down in front of Harrison.
"Why did you kill my brother?"
So Harrison told her the story word for word and when he finished her eyes were cold and red.
"You killed my brother- my blood over some bullshit. Harrison, I loved you. That's why when you broke your promise, I had to be done with you because I knew I would've gotten involved too. I would've become an image of you and I couldn't do that."
"I thought you were looking for a reason to be with Kendrick and I gave you one."
"Kendrick and I didn't have feelings like that for each other like that back then. They didn't start until a few weeks before the party." She shook her head.
"He was trying to leave and you shot him. I forgive you, but you need to turn yourself in for me."
"The fuck have you don-"
"I didn't fucking snitch-when I should've. I should've for my brother but I loved you enough to know that you'd do it for me."
"Okay, can you guys take me to do it?" He asked and Kendrick nodded. Erika walked to the room.
After a few minutes, Kendrick went back there and she was sobbing. He didn't say much, just grabbed her arm and kissed her forehead.
"Baby, are you okay?" He asked and she nodded. She breathed out hard and just smiled.
"It's finally gonna be over Kendrick." She wiped her tears and looked up at him.
"I'm ready." So they proceeded to the door, and down to her car, then they all talked in the car as they took him down to the police station. They rolled him in and he turned himself in. Erika hugged him as they rolled him away and Kendrick nodded. As they walked towards the car, Kendrick hummed a line and she looked at him.
"What did you say?"
"Young, Wild, and Reckless is how we live life."