Chapter 4: She Needs Me

Kendrick sat down, his eyes gazing over at Erika. She was sleeping soundly on the couch and softly snoring. He smirked and then walked into the booth. He made sure it was only going to his ears so he wouldn't wake her.
He looked at the paper and the words slid off his tongue like water on rocks.
She go to work
She go to school
Body smooth
Soon the song was finished with the first layer. She sat up. Her eyes were glazed over and she was breathing deep. She looked at him and he laughed.
"What are you doing?" She asked and kissed him.
"Just writing, what are you doing?"
"Just waking up." She said, her nose cold and her warm breath on his neck.
"I love you so much." He said and kissed her cheek. He picked her up and they walked down to the parking lot. She jumped out his arms and smiled.
"I'll meet up with you at my apartment." She said and got in her car.
"Are you sure you're gonna be alright." He asked and she nodded. 
"Yeah. I have to get some gas so I'll get a RedBull and then go home." He stood up and hugged her, his eyes glossed over her figure and she smiled.
"Erika, I'll be home real soon. I'm not gonna leave you in the hood baby, we're gonna get out." He said and she smiled.
"Focus on this Kendrick." She said getting in her car. He waves goodbye and returns to the studio.
She switches the radio stations on the way home, back and forth. Back and forth. She finds herself in the subs again. She can hear an ambulance in the distance along with gunfire, so close to the hood but not in it. She pulls into the garage of Kendrick's new apartment and walks inside. She looks around and sighs. She walks to the wine cooler and pulls out a bottle. She walks to the bookcase and grabs a photo album and kicks off her shoes. She takes off her jacket and sits,on it. As she flips through the pages she sees one of her and Kendrick hanging out at a football game. It was before they started dating, before they were engaged. She opened the bottle taking a swig from it and places her hand gently on the pages, she flips a page and sees a Polaroid with Kendrick and Sherane in it. They're kissing in the picture and clearly dancing, next to that one was a picture of Erika and her friend Darius smiling awkwardly. She takes a few more swigs and then lays down to keep looking. She felt a tear run down her face and then she heard a key in the door. She sat up and ran to the kitchen with the bottle. She puts it in the cooler right as Kendrick walks through the door. When she approaches him, she's sweating and he's tired.
"Why is your jacket and shoes in the middle of the floor along with this?" He asked lifting up the photo album. She felt herself getting angry and he saw it so he just brushed it off.
"Anyways gorgeous. You are the most beautiful girl I've ever known and I'm glad to have you. You wanna go lay down?" He asks and embraces her.
"Why do you have that picture of you and Sherane?" She asked and pushed him off.
"What the fuck babe? I'm trying to chill with you and you're bringing her up."
"Answer my question Kendrick." Erika slurred out and then burped.
"I kept every one, I don't have a lot of friends when I travel and I just like to see the memories and reflect." She nodded and walked away into his room. He followed and watched as she took off the rest of her clothes. Her skin smooth, her body with curves like no other. He watched as she dipped out of her dress and then she turned around. Nude and as beautiful as ever. He moves over to her and she gets his jacket off of him and helps him get everything except for his shorts off. He lays down on the bed and looks at her as she turns on the TV. She looks over at him and smiles. They hold each other for a few moments and she sighs.
"Kendrick, I want to get married after you make it. I want to know you have me like I have you and I feel like tours will test us. We don't have any kids and we just have each other. I love you a lot and I need you to have some incentive." She says kissing his arm. He nods and watches the news.
"Are you tired baby?" He asks kissing her cheek and she shook her head.
"I'm tipsy, but tired. I want someone to love me, I want so be close with my family like how you are." She says and kisses his temple.
"Why don't you move in here with me?"
"Kendrick, you do everything for me. I just want to work for myself for once. Ever since I had that breakdown at my aunties house I realized, if I didn't have you I would have nothing and I can't set m-"
"I'm asking because I love you, not because I wanna control you." He said and she sighed.
"You want to bring the hood into your home when you left it?" She asked and he nodded.
"You ain't the hood no more, you're not the girl you were in high school. You don't have no danger here, you need to be here for you. I'm not gonna force you to stay but I'm not gonna watch you die either." He said and she rubs her eyes.
"I am the same girl from high school. I'm still around the hood. We graduated four years ago and I still can't get it together. You're music is what you have, I'm 22 and I have nothing, just you and a college degree."
11th Grade- 2004
After school
Erika walks out of the class looking around for Storm. Her heart was pounding wondering if the rumors were true. She ran through the hallways and bumped into Kendrick.
"Best friend." She said and smiled at him. He smirked and looked around.
"Did you hear about-"
"Yeah, I don't know if it's true. If it is- I don't know. I care about the boy but I don't want to be gang affiliated in anyway." She said and as they helped each other up, Storm came from around the corner.
"Erika, let's talk." He said and she hugged Kendrick and looked at Storm.
"What the fuck man, I thought we agreed. No gangs and the you go and join one anyways. We were gonna make it out, together. The fuck you doin'?" She questions and he shook his head.
"You don't understand, it's unavoidable."
"So being a hoodlum is inevitable? You think this shit is okay, you are gonna fuck around and kill someone and then they're gonna wanna come after you. It's a cycle, why would you get caught up in that? Why would you break your promise to me?" She asks, her face getting redder and her hand balled up.
"They killed my brother! I needed help and I needed a family and this is my family. These are my brothers and sisters now. Yes it's inevitable. These people are gonna keep robbing and killing and just doing these heinous crimes anyways so I don't see why this is such a big deal to you. I need help and that's why I joined." He said.
"So you'd rather kill someone's brother than let the courts handle it. Have you ever been to jail, Harrison Brown?"
"First off, you don't have to say my government and second, no. The system is broken anyways and those people are just waiting to die anyways."
"Man, you've changed. You promised me!" She said and slapped him. He held his face in discomfort and looked at her.
"Why the fuck are you hi-"
"Why the fuck are you breaking promises, Harrison!" He pushed her against a locker and put his hand on her throat.
"Don't ever hit me again in your life. I didn't break shit, I just grew up." He said and she rolled her eyes.
"Fuck you, I'm done. Go be with one of those clowns, since that's so fucking inevitable." She said and pushed his arm off her throat. She pushed him and looked around, everybody was looking at them and she sighed.
"The fuck y'all lookin' at?" She screamed and walked outside. She sat by the track, the sun beaming down on her skin and the events on her mind.
"Best friend." She heard Kendrick say as he came up behind her and she smiled.
"I heard what happened from Shay. You good?" He asks and she nods.
"I just- I thought it was gonna just be me and him. Like we were gonna make it out and he just ruined it."
"You don't want to be the girlfriend of a gang member?"
"No, I don't want to watch him go to jail and wait for him. I'm not wasting my life like that."  She says and Kendrick nods and feels a flutter in his heart. He bends over and sighs quickly and then sits down.
"Look, I know you had hopes for y'all and this doesn't mean y'all can't be friends. It just means until he's done-"
"Kendrick, I can't be involved with stuff like that. I gave him everything and the only thing I asked for was his love and for him to keep his word." She said sniffling.
"I'm sorry." He said and hugged her.
"Erika!" Someone screamed and they both turned around. Storm was walking towards her and she sighed.
"What do you want?" She said standing up.
"That's it? I join a gang and you're just done with me, huh, Erika? That's what we do now?" He asked shaking his head.
"That is it. You didn't keep you word, Harrison." She cried out and pushed him. She walked off and Harrison looked at her frowning. Then he turned around looking at Kendrick.
"What the fuck did you say to her?" Storm asked pushing him.
"What the hel- man I didn't say shit to her, I wanted to know why she was upset and if she was done and she said yeah . That's it."
"Kendrick, I see the way you look at her. You aren't just the supportive friend and she knows it and I know it. Fuck you." He said and walked away. Kendrick looked on as another crowd dispersed and he ran towards where Erika ran off. He watched as she spoke to her auntie on the phone.
"I can't tell you over the phone, I just need you to come get me and Kendrick....Auntie, I can't talk about it over the phone he might get in trouble and we broke up." Kendrick walked towards Erika and she turned around and smiled.
"Thanks Auntie, we'll be in the front." She said hanging up.
"You ready?" She asked and he nodded and they headed towards the front of the building.
A Month Later
Kendrick headed off the plane and towards baggage claim. He just returned from New York and was excited to see his mom and Erika. As he got to baggage claim, he heard a voice humming one of his songs in his ear. He turned around and smiled. He kissed her and she smirked at him.
"Welcome home, baby." She said and he laughed.
"It feels good." He grabbed his bag and they walked out towards her car.
"So you won't guess what I found out." She said and he looked at her.
"What?"
"You remember Harrison, hard to forget the nigga that killed your brother. But anyways, he was just roaming this world free as can be and then someone walked up said this is for "Desean, Tashawnte, Dede, and Dae" and just shot him in the street. Now he's alive, but he's paralyzed." She said getting in the car.
"How do you feel about it?" He asked as they got in. She shook her head.
"Better, I'd rather he be in jail. I just keep going back and forth with it. I want him in jail because I cared about him, he's who I lost my virginity to, even though it was before me and him got together officially, he's who I spent six months of my life with and it's just the caring part of me that wants him in jail and then the part that doesn't care, I just remember being covered in my brother's blood and seeing his mom after that. I think I like the second part more but regardless, he's going to jail. Him and the dude that shot him."
"They got charges?" He asked and she nodded.
"Someone from the party talked to the cops finally and he had several other murder charges along with the gang related shit so they were able to make the connections." She said and Kendrick leaned over and kissed her.
"I missed you. After our talk, I just felt bad for having to leave but-"
"I was being selfish, this is your dream and just because I don't have any real ones doesn't negate the importance of yours." She said and he looked at her in awe.
"Did you decide what you're gonna do about moving?" He asked and she frowned up and then relaxed.
"I wanna be with you, in the hood there's so much noise but at least you're never alone, when you're gone it's just me and quiet and that's when I think the most... I'll move in with you though it's worth it." He smiled at her and she just sighed.
"It's been rough on you, you know all your siblings and shit just gone like that-"
"I don't want to talk about them. I want to talk about you baby. That all I want." She said and he nodded.
"I want you to come with me on the next trip."
"Kendrick, I just got this job. I can't just leave for th-"
"You're coming." He said and she nodded.
"Alright, anything for you, Mr. Duckworth." She said and laughed.