Prologue: Welcome to Compton/Sherane

Erika was a runner, known around school for it since she was in junior high school. She always had to run. Run from gunshots, being jumped, and for her track and field coach. She was a straight A student and she made sure that it was her way of getting out the city.
"E!" She heard someone scream, snapping her out of her thoughts. She slowed down and tripped before falling to the dirt on hands. She started to move to get up and a familiar hand helped her up.
"Kendrick." She smiled and he hugged her.
"You were running so fast, thought a bunch of crips were coming for you." She laughed.
"Blue is my favorite color too. Can't even wear it in this city." She said and he nodded.
"So Sherane and Linda were talking about going to the movie theatre on Friday. Do you want to come?"
"Only if you're there." She said and he nodded.
"I'm gonna bring Marcus and Juju also, but I figured I should ask you first."
"Yeah. I need my boys to protect a shorty like me." She joked and he bumped shoulders with her and he looked her up and down.
"Erika." He said and looked down at me.
"What?" She asked and he sighed.
"Just come with me." He said and picked her up. He walked her into the building.
"Mrs. Cobb, do you know if the nurses office is still open?" He asked and she nodded.
"Yeah it is. What did you stay after for Duckworth?"
"Run track with Erika." He said and Mrs. Cobb walked them to the nurse. She finally looked down and saw what Kendrick was talking about. She had skinned her knee and some of the skin off of her palms. He watched as the nurses came back with a bunch of cotton balls, rubbing alcohol, and bandaids. Kendrick sighed.
"Senior year is halfway over and you are still tripping over air." He chuckled and she laughed before punching him with her uninjured hand. She let out a small scream when the alcohol touched the wound. He called one of their friends to come get them and then helped her up. They walked out of the school together and sat waiting for the ride.
"How was your day?" She asked and he sighed.
"Wasted another day at school when I could've been mackin' on yo little ass."
"Kendrick." She said and they laughed. They made eye-contact and came slightly closer to each other. A horn honked and they snapped away from each other and he helped her limp to the car. His hand slipped out of hers and he hopped in front seat.
"What happened?" Their friend Chad said and they laughed.
"I caught her off guard, and she tripped." He said and they laughed. When they got to her house, Kendrick helped her out and grabbed her keys. He unlocked the door and walked her to the living room. He warmed up leftovers and gave them to her before hugging her and leaving. He walked out to the car and Chad grinned.
"Man, what was that at the school?"
"What do you mean, Chad?"
"I saw y'all together, y'all was finna be cup caking."
"She's just a friend." Kendrick sighed and knew it wasn't true. They were gaining feelings for each other everyday. He avoided it but, they had classes together everyday. They hadn't had any conversation about the feelings because she knew that Kendrick was focused on getting out and his future. He was focused on music and not on her. At least that's what he imagined she thought.
"I don't have time for relationships when I might die tomorrow." He said and Chad nodded. He dropped Kendrick off at his house and as he walked in he heard the commotion of the dishes being washed. His little sister was on the couch sleeping. He sat next to her and pulled out his textbook. He worked on the worksheets and then laid down on the floor. He awoke to his dad kicking him softly in the stomach and he coughed.
"Get up, get some food in you, take a shower, and take your ass to bed kid."
After dinner with the family I went to my bunk and laid down. I opened my notebook and wrote a couple of lines before falling sleep.
-/-
He awoke to hands on his chest.
"Kendrick, Kendrick." His little sister said and he smiled. They hugged and he got dressed. He called Erika since he had time to kill and she answered.
"Okay, Kendrick. So Marcus and Chad are on their way to come pick me up now. You sure you don't want something to eat? I have some fruity pebbles to match your childish ass personality."
"Swallow these nuts. Just bring it. I needed some food anyways." He mumbled and she laughed.
"Kendrick, I-" she stopped and he lingered on the pause wondering what she was going to say.
"Erika?" He questioned and she coughed.
"Sorry. Chad and Marcus are here. I'll see you in a few."
"Bye E."
"Bye K." She said and as he placed the finishing touches on his outfit he saw them pull up. He grabbed his keys and bag before rushing out to his friends.
-/-
Lunch Time
"Erika." Kendrick said as he ran to her. She turned around and hugged him.
"What's wrong?" She asked and he raised his eyebrow.
"What were you gonna say on the phone?"
"I was going to say that I love fruity pebbles too and that I was joking about you being childish." She said as they walked to her locker. She opened it and he placed his arms around her and the locker, trapping her. She turned around after grabbing her bags.
"Kendrick we have to get to class. Plus it's Friday and ain't nobody getting detention for you." She said and  they started walking to class.
"Erika, come over after school. My pops said he'll take me to this party as long as you're with me."
"Alright." She said and he smiled. They walked together and into their English class.
"Alright class. So today we are ending school year with our poetry unit. As you know the last day of school is May 29th, which is next week and graduation is on June the 10th. So with that we are going to use our words to form new worlds. Who are some poets that you know of? Who are some poets that speak to you? Poetry is in everything. Music, it's in books, it's in the words we speak now. So your assignment is to write a poem and recite it to the class. You can work solo or with a partner." Kendrick could feel the excitement in his heart as he looked over at Erika.
"Best Friend!" He said in a rushed tone. She looked over and nodded and moved her desk to him. They grabbed pieces of paper from their binders and he looked at her for a good minute as she spoke.
"I think since we both have things we're passionate about that we should right about that and then at the end it comes together."
"Yeah I like that." When it was time to recite the poem, we were really proud of it.
"Our poem is called Runner Raps." They said and Erika started.
"The laps I run across the field of life
Could never compare to the lapse of thugs judgment
As we hear the pops of the gunshots, thus I run away from this fight-"
Then Kendrick's part came in
"Thus I run away from this fight, and I write with this gift
The hearts of the overbearing mothers
And the pops of the guns as the good kids run this mad city-"
Erika smiled at that line before starting hers.
"The good kids run this mad city
With the runners charms and moves across the centuries
We changed our path without a doubt, another one falls-"
"Another one falls, lessening our hallways numbers
Our class passes away like my dead homies
And we're left with death and fight or flight-"
"Fight or flight and this runner will always flight
Like a plane in the sky, soaring through the night
To the fallen homies, y'all were right."
They both spoke while holding their heads down,
"To all the fallen homies, y'all were right
As we hear the gunshots and run away, try to fight
Just good kids in a mad city." They finished as their classmates snapped their fingers. They sat down and she passed him a note.
'You did so great, will you take me to the mall today so I can get a dress for said party?' She wrote and he looked at her.
"Yeah." He said and he smiled.
-/-
Party
"My name is Kendrick." He said as Sherane danced on him. Erika was dancing around the house with her friends, Shay, Lorrene, Shaunti, and Shawna. She shook her ass and laughed as her friends cracked jokes. When they went to sit down, Shay spoke.
"So, what's up with you and Kendrick?" She asked and Erika laughed.
"Shay, he's just my friend. You see him dancing with Sherane anyways." Erika said and inside she knew she was mad, she knew they were just friends. She also knew that they wouldn't work out since she felt like he was going to be famous any time now. The girls chatted for a while and then they walked to the dance floor as the Ciara song came on. Erika sang along with it.
"This beat is, automatic, supersonic, hypnotic-" as the girls did the one, two step and drank their orange soda.
"Guys I have to pee." Erika said and her friends nodded. She walked up stairs and to a bathroom. She opened the door and saw Kendrick talking to Sherane. He looked up at her and grabbed Sherane by her arm as they walked out.
'Why is he acting like his ass don't know me.' She thought before handling her business. When she came out Kendrick grabbed her hand and she pushed him off her.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing I just don't feel good." She said and he grabbed her arm.
"We ain't together, just in case it's about Sherane. If I want to fu-"
"I don't care Kendrick. You're best friend but I'm not finna let you-"
"You ain't my momma."
"Kendrick-" he walked away from her in search of Sherane and she walked back down to her girls. She danced until she couldn't and then she walked outside. Kendrick's mom's van was still there. She sat on the hood and drank some of her soda. She heard her phone ringing, she answered, and her auntie on the other line.
"Hey Auntie." She said.
"Erika Demetra Dullsine, what time are you coming home?"
"I think I might be with Kendrick and his family tonight."
"Alright that's cool. I love you, Erika."
"I love you too, Auntie Jadense." She said and they hung up. Kendrick came out a few minutes later and smiled at me.
"Kendrick, are you okay?"
"Yeah. Let's get home." He said and we got in the van. We sat in silence most of the ride and they entered the apartment as quiet as they could. Erika held his arm as they moved to his room. They kicked off their shoes and he let her borrow some of his clothes. They changed quickly and fell asleep with their backs against each other.
-/-
When they awoke in the afternoon, Kendrick's dad was livid.
"Kendrick, have you seen my damn dominoes?" He asked and Kendrick looked over at Erika. She had makeup all over his pillows but she was awake now.
"No I haven't pops. You want me to get you some?"
"Yeah." He said and passed Kendrick a twenty,"and make sure you come back with my change, motherfucka. You can get you a drink or a snack but I better have some change left." He added before walking out.
"Are you coming?" Kendrick asked Erika and she nodded. He let her borrow a pair of his sweats and then they walked to the van. They bobbed their heads to the beat on the radio.
"I heard that you were talking shit
And you didn't think that I would hear it
People hear you talking like that, getting everybody fired up-" Erika sang and Kendrick laughed.
"You're silly as hell." He mumbled and she chuckled.
"Gotta love California, some violent cities but music flows through the state." Erika said as they pulled into the grocery store parking lot. They walked in together and went into different sections of the store. Kendrick's phone rang and so he answered.
"Hello?" He said with a questioning tone.
"It's Sherane, handsome." She said and he chuckled.
"Hey beautiful." He said and he could just feel her batting her eye lashes.
"Thank you, when are we gonna finish what we started?" She asked and he laughed. As his conversation went on, Erika was also on the phone.
"I felt something last night. Something different girl, like I was falling for him. Shay, I saw him with Sherane though so I don't think it's gonna work out. We're veering off each other's course. I love him, but he's going into his regular boy mode and I'm leaving for college in June so it's just a lot, a lot to handle." Erika said and looked at cards for her big brother.
"I think he'll snap of it and then realize he has a beautiful, light bright, big eyed woman by his side. You won't always be by yourself you know." Shay said and Erika laughed.
"It's sad." She said as she saw Kendrick walk pass the section she was in and to the condoms.
"Bitch, he's not worthy of a queen like you if y'all have been hanging out for all these years and he still don't know what he want."
"Girl he went to the condom aisle." The girls sighed and talked again briefly and then hung up when it was time for them to go.
He didn't say anything to her as the cashier totaled up the items. The cashier smiled at her and she started talking to him.
"How old are you?" She asked the cashier.
"Nineteen. What about you?" He asked her and she grinned.
"I'm turning eighteen in a month." She said.
"Oh yeah, when's your birthday?"
"June 24th." Kendrick watched as they exchanged numbers and flirted until the next customer came. They said their goodbyes and Kendrick and Erika left.
"Erika, what the fuc-"
"What are the condoms for Kendrick?" She asked crossing her arms.
"Sherane and I really clicked."
"Sherane clicks with everything you fucking dick. You're really gonna have sex with that diseased woman."
"Shut the fuck up." He said and she put her hands up. She walked pass the van and started walking toward her auntie's apartment.
"Are you stupid?" Kendrick asked running after her and tackling her. They scuffled for a minute before he wrapped his arms around her.
"Stop." They screamed at each other for another five minutes in the middle of the parking lot.
"Get the fuck off me!" She screamed at him and he picked her up and walked her to the car. He threw her in the backseat and got in the drivers seat. They didn't speak the whole ride to her home and when he did speak she was already on her way to the door.
"Erika, I'm sorry. We'll talk soon." He promised.
-/-
"I don't know what I did. She just gets mad at me on cue now." Kendrick said and shook his head.
"Look nigga, y'all clearly want each other."
"She's leaving in June bro."
"Where she going?"
"Arizona. It's for a year and then she's transferring to UCLA."
"Your career might actually skyrocket when she leaves."
"Yeah, that's why we don't want to get ourselves involved with each other."
"Better to try now, after you smash Sherane." The guys laughed and Kendrick nodded in agreement.
Message from Sherane
-We still on for tonight?
Kendrick chuckled and texted her back with his answer.
-/-
Sunday
Erika and Shay were chatting over the phone about school and work.
"You know Sherane is going around saying she's gonna smash Kendrick."
"Yeah and I hope they do. He tripped out on me today. It was like staring down the barrel of a loaded gun with a ugly nigga on the other end with his finger on the trigger."
"Damn, well have y'all talked."
"Nah, we're not gonna talk. I'm gonna let him get them ho germs and let this idea of 'us' go. I'm leaving for a year like, we're not about to go through this. We aren't about to ruin our friendship." She said upset and Shay tried her best to cheer her up.
"There's a party tonight if you are up for it." Shay said.
"If I go I'm gonna see if Darius is up for coming with me."
"Who's Darius?" Shay asked.
"Darius, he works at Food-for-Less. He's a nice guy."
"Girl you better invite Darius." Shay said and Erika chuckled.
"I am. If he doesn't want to come than you're my date, bitch." She joked and Shay laughed before hanging up.
She called Darius and he picked up on the third ring.
"Hello?"
"Darius, it's Erika from the grocery store."
"Hey Erika. What's up."
"So my friends are going to this party tonight and I wanted to know if you wanted to tag along."
"Of course. I'll come get you. What time does it start?"
"It starts at 8." She said and Darius coughed before answering.
"Alright. Are you busy right now?" He asked.
"Nah, why?"
"Because I want to hang out with you."
"Let's do it then." She heard a beep on her phone and looked at the caller ID.
"Can you hold on a sec?" She asked and he made a noise to say he could. She answered the call and it was Kendrick.
"Best Friend." He said and she sighed.
"What's up?" She asked.
"I miss you. Are you going to that party today?"
"Yeah." She said.
"Cool, so you want to hang out before or-"
"I'm straight Kendrick." She said and he sighed.
"I'm sorry, Erika. I shouldn't have ever put my hands on you."
"You're not my boyfriend Kendrick and if you think that you're gonna mess around with Rane, and then me. Just no. I love you, Kendrick." She said hanging up and returning to Darius. They talked as she got ready and then met up with each other in the park across from her apartments. They flirted with each other and talked about life and their views until it was time to get ready for the party.

Author note:
So I know on the album, he meets Sherane and then she sets him up next time they meet but I want to prolong it, because of it inevitability.
-eminemandme39/tabbibunny08