Chapter One

WARNING! WARNING! I would just like to mention that there ARE  swear words in this. For all those who disapprove of this, so do I. I don't like to swear, I don't want to swear, and when I do my friends scold me saying, "Rose! That isn't nice to say that!" But they swear all the time so... yeah... 

Enjoy my new book! :D

                                                                                  ~*~

It all started out simple: the day mom met Philip, Philip Meadows, to be exact. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, way, way deep down, but when every conversation we have is an argument, it’s harder and harder to remember that. He had mom captivated the moment they met, since he has the money, the looks, everything, or so she thought. He welcomed us into his house. Correction: mansion. It’s like a freaking palace in there, and only he lived there with a butler and two maids. I got my own room, and seriously a mound of cash just to get me off his back. Mom and him got really close, and soon I had a brand, spanking new stepdad. But no one can replace my real dad, even if that man is famous.

“Clean the dishes,” he commands.

“Can’t Marina do that?” I complain.

“Who’s Marina?” He questions me.

“… Your maid?” I motion to the girl already starting to pick up our dishes from in front of us. I groan and stand up.

“You weren’t dismissed, young lady,” his voice grows louder, but that just makes me storm off. “Alexis Meadows!”

“Lexi Simmons, to you,” I scowl as I march away. Mom doesn’t even bother getting in the middle of our fight.

“Don’t you start with me,” he stands from his seat, going off on a rant about how I’m such a spoiled brat. He doesn’t blame mom for it, though. If I’m such a spoiled brat, why does he give me all this cash? Whenever I tell him I’m out, which I’m not, he gives me nearly a hundred dollars. It’s like he’s throwing it away! By now, I could buy out all the clothes in Cambray.

Slamming my bedroom door, I rush to my phone where is buzzes by it’s charger. Dex’s nickname, Dearest, flashes on the screen. He thinks it’s so hilarious when I call him that, so I use it all the time, along with Sugar Lips. I collapse on my bed, calling him back while glancing around the bare walls of the room. I didn’t even bother getting comfortable; because when I turn eighteen I’m moving to his house. We already have plans for that, and his dad is totally cool with that. Mr. Castro loves me, and that’s probably why. His mom doesn’t care, since she doesn’t have much power over that now that she’s moved out. It’s not an official divorce, since she’s still over a lot.

“Hey babe,” I greet him with a slight smile.

“You never answered my calls,” he complains.

“I know, I’m sorry. I was busy with dinner,” I groan, rolling over onto my stomach and glancing at a Sunkissed magazine my sister dumped in my room after she left for college. She was so relieved to leave mom and Philip, I wish I were her. She was almost happy she left, only sad to leave me behind.

“Lexi?” He asks, and I have a feeling it wasn’t the first time he called my name.

“Huh?”

“Are you daydreaming again?” He asks with a laugh.

“Yeah…”

“Why don’t we hang out tonight? I heard Jack found a great place under the bridge down East Edge,” he tells me. I sit up from my bed and my eyes dart to the box concealed in the corner of my room near my walk in closet.