◆ 8 ◆

April Coleen Foster brings two cups of coffee, a gift card that could get you unlimited slices of chocolate pie and one slice of strawberry cheesecake.

"You're going to bump into me and then dump the whole thing on my torso again, aren't you?"

Smirking, Max accepted the cup, oblivious of April's squirming and her pathetic attempt to trying to divert her gaze somewhere else instead of Max's teasing yet terrifyingly dazzling smile.

Her stomach twisted to all sorts of ways, obvious that she was somewhat, if not remotely, attracted to him. In a platonic way, of course. At least that's what she keeps telling herself, though the erratic beating of her heart tells her otherwise.

Thursday was great, just great.

April simply grinned at Max's small joke, making a mental note not to bring Max coffee ever again to avoid embarassment and the possibility of her face blowing up.

As they made their way towards a small table in Chamomile where the crowds were little, April stole a glance at Max.

Wearing the same black tortoiseshell glasses, Max seemed to be in a state of bliss, but she could dark bags under his eyes, concern immediately showing upon her features.

"Did you sleep well last night?"

Max discerned concern in her tone, so he immediately made up some believable excuse that would distract her from thinking it was actually her all along in his mind the whole night.

"So, which school do you go to?" April timidly asked. She was hesitant to start the conversation, but she felt this strange eager sensation to just know everything about Max.

Max pushed his glasses back before replying, "Middleton High. I'm going to be a senior after this summer."

April's eyebrows shot up, surprised that they both went to the same school. "Really? I go there too!"

But right after she said it, sadness settled in. April wondered if Max ever noticed her, even if the school had a thousand students.

The two engaged in a light conversation, a laugh here and there, but April's stomach grumbled and Max coughed a couple of times.

After moments of uncomfortable silence, April indulged on the chocolate pie with the most delicious coffee in town. She didn't realize how ravenous she was until she had finished 4 slices, awed at how many she could eat in one hour.

Max watched with amusement, considering whether or not to slide his plate of strawberry cheesecake to her. Then he noticed the chocolate mess all over April's mouth and stifled a chuckle, a little fluttering in his heart at how stupidly adorable she looked.

"Um, April, you got a little something on your-"

"What? Oh!"

"No no no, here let me."

At first the words came flying out of Max's mouth so suddenly that he was momentarily stunned by his words, but composed himself and reached wih a napkin to April's mouth.

He sensed her stiffen, obviously uncomfortable but Max was oblivious of the loud beating of April's fragile heart.

Cautiously taking his time, almost intentionally, he used his thumb, gently rubbing the bottom of April's naturally pouting bottom lip. April diverted her gaze away from Max's dangerously beautiful eyes, afraid that when she looked it she would instantly fall for him and grab his stupid flawless face just to kiss him.

Time passed slowly, and April sensed the thick tension. She sensed Max's eyes on her lips, sensed his thumb resting on her chin, sensed his brown eyes darkening, sensed the musky smell of cinnamon and coffee and pie and-

oh shizcrappingnits she was falling for him.

Clearing her throat and leaning away, April muttered a small thanks, wishing that Max wouldn't have done that and hoping that one day he'd do it again. She considered smashing her pitiful head on the hardwood table.

April stole a glance at Max, mentally swooning at how his hair dips perfectly to his warm eyes, his eyeglasses framing his face just the way it should, how his broad shoulders said everything but friendly, and how at this hour, at a bright Thursday afternoon she had managed to sit in a table across Max Eppelher himself with chocolate pie.

Max's eyes instantly flickered to hers, a stunning grin forming on his lips. "Like the view, Foster?"

April's cheeks tinted, but she decided that for just one day, she'll play along wih his game.

"We're on a last name basis now are we, Eppelher?"

At this, Max's eyes brightened, and something warm settled in the pit of April's stomach.

"I don't know if you have a middle name, love. Pray tell?"

Deciding to ignore the nickname, April blurted, "Coleen. But I tend to leave it out of my introduction."

"Why is that?"

April thought for a moment, her eyes flickered upwards and didn't notice Max's clenching his jaw to resist grabbing her face and kissing the daylights out of her.

"I guess Coleen doesn't suit me. It sounds daring and brilliant and lovely and everything that's not me. I stick to Cole better."

"Oh. Okay, then."

April seemed fine with that answer, though a little dissapointed that it was all he said. She was hoping he'd carry on the conversation since that was one thing she wasn't good at.

April stared blankly at her fingernails as Max paid the bill. "I'll walk you out, April."

As the two went outside, Max grabbed April's wrist. Her breath caught in her throat and she was afraid she'd do anything but squeak if she said a word.

"Look, April, I...I think you're Coleen."

Blooming confusion etched on Max's face as he tried to express what he was trying to say, but for April, his words were more than enough.

"I think Coleen does suit you. I think it fits about everything about you, and...and I think you should know that. You being the most graceful and beautiful person I know." By the time Max finished, he let out a breath he didn't know was holding.

April's heart thudded quicker than ever, and shivers went up her spine as Max subconsciously rubbed his thumb against her palm. Gently tearing her hand away, she whispered, "Thank you."

Max looked at her like she was the most beautiful thing in the world, and she was almost glowing. She was brilliant.

"Do you...um, want my...I mean your, I mean want my, no wait ours...phone number?"

April's eyes beamed like a rainbow appearing after a storm,

and her answer made Max smile like it was the only thing in the world that mattered.