◆ 5 ◆

The two finally meet. (Part 2.)

"Eek!" April's timid voice laced with panic and pierced through Max's ears.

Eppelher stayed paralyzed, not because of the searing hot pain the coffee emmited onto him, well, maybe that too, but because the pretty redhead was frantically dabbing napkins on his torso.

And she was too close.

Max cleared his throat.

She looked up, her eyes feigning worry and her cheeks a light shade of pink.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled, focusing on the empty coffee cup that was now laying on its side on the floor.

She has a pretty voice, Max thought, then cleared his throat again.

"Ah...it's...fine. I'll just go back...and, uh, change." His throat tightened.

"I didn't mean to spill the coffee it's just that the kid bumped into me and I was holding the coffee and the panini and the latte and you're probably burning by now because the coffee's hot but-"

"Max Eppelher."

"What?" April tilted her head up and her lips parted, surprised that he didn't sound mad, or at least irritated.

And his name!

She took his whole face in, which was a quite amazing view, then realized they were closer than she thought.

An old woman gently nudged the two out of the doorway they were blocking, and the two hesitantly sat down in one of the booths.

The distance between the two slowed April's quick breathing, but she could still feel her heart beating wildly against her chest.

Do two strangers, one stained with coffee and the other flushed red, normally sit down together in a booth?

She shifted her gaze from her fidgeting fingers to the young man across from her, then opened her mouth to start apologizing again when he stopped her.

"Look," Max paused then licked his lips, "You don't have to apologize or anything. It's just spilt coffee-"

"Hot coffee." April interrupted quietly while Max gave her an amused look.

"Its ok, it's not really that hot, I have to go now anyways so I could, um, change because I'm just wasting my time here."

He winced, realizing his words sounded a bit too harsh and could possibly ruin the chance of him seeing her ever again.

April gave him a small nod, stood up slowly, then turned her back on him after muttering a sad, "Sorry."

Max stayed frozen in his seat and watched the girl's retreating figure walk away, her luscious red locks cascading down her back like a waterfall.

She was beautiful.

Suddenly a thought hit him like a brick to his face, and he hastily jumped up and shouted for her.

"Wait! What's your name?"

April stopped in her tracks and froze, all her breath in her lungs escaping her.

Did he still want to meet her?

She turned, gave Max a look she hoped was decent and didn't look like she was going to faint.

"It's April."

A second or two passed, and April started to walk away.

But she turned back again, a small smile, a freaking beautiful one, graced on her lips.

Then she was gone.

Max collapsed on one of the nearest booths with April's lovely face now occupying his thoughts, then murmured to himself,

"I need to see that smile again."